Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered already, but since I wasn't able to find an answer I'll ask anyways. The tranny in my 74 is quirky, sometimes it'll shift beautifully, othertimes the engine rpm's will go up to 3500-4k and the acceleration doesn't change one bit. I am thinking that the torque converter is going bad. If it is I was planning on putting a rebuilt tranny in with an added 4th gear. Can you get an fmx kit/ tranny with 4 gears or would it be better to get an aod or c6 with a 4th gear? I realize I would have to change cooler lines, tranny mounts, etc. to do this. If it is possible to get a rebuilt fmx with a 4th gear installed, where can I get one. I haven't found a place to get it yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Guy

·
Registered
913 Posts
No FMX with overdrive, you need a AOD from a late model 302 Mustang

·
Registered
913 Posts
I used a AOD from a 302 T-bird, they are not as strong as the fox body Mustangs AOD's but the are great for street cruising ,I have not had a problem yet! I t was a fairly easy swap, but I have been working on cars for 50+ years. That is a good article ahunt191

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I liked the article, very informative. Now the question is what will I have to do with the cougar to get everything to line up. cooler lines and crossmember, of course, but will I have to lengthen or shorten my drive shaft. we shall see.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Most likely you will need to shorten it about an inch. Depending on what app it came out of. Don't forget the block spacer plate and inspection cover plate when you leave the bone yard with the one you get. late 80's truck/van/police car is your best bet for low budget. Otherwise going to an EAOD is truly the cats meow but much more pricey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts