Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened the trunk of my blue 73 some time back to discover the trunk had leaked and all of the memorabalia from previous Fabulous Fords shows was soaked and/or moldy. Peeled back the gasket and found some rusted through holes. Removed the old gasket, ordered a new one, and tried to clean up the area. With my incredible knowledge of body work (none) I used what I had, a drill driven wire wheel to clean down to metal and found some Rust-Oleum that was a pretty close light blue color.
But the holes are still there. I have taken some low res pix hoping I can attach them here to show the size.
My question: What do I have to do? Do I have to go to a body shop and have them welded? Would some Permatex work? JB Weld? Bondo? This car is probably driven a hundred miles a year and spends most of its time under a tarp. Still starts and runs. Looks good in the local parades. This is probably the one of my 2 73s that I will keep.
Any comments/suggestions (besides "what a frickin' amateur")?
Thanks.

DSC07240.JPG DSC07241.JPG

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Of course the right way is to cut out the bad section(s) and replace with clean sheetmetal. But if you treat it with POR-15 or similar product, and patch with JB Weld, the repair should last you many years.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I ended up getting a non-rusted part from a donor car for mine...

If that is the only hole you have, you (or a body shop) should be able to weld in a small patch.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Lead it! Propane torch, wooden spatula and a stick of 50/50. There's always brazing,..a simple process to learn. A local welding shop would charge around $40 for a few spots, do the metal prep before taking it down to them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ALL METAL clean the area well , this can be worked like plastic but is made of metal with a epoxy hardener . Just make sure you clean it as well as you can , I mean removing the rust , apply the material follow direction on can . Smooth it over prime and paint . It is moisture resistant and will live a good life .

in the application less is best do light layers sanding in between coats .

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Metal-Filler-Putty-Quart/dp/B003BWERU8

1 - 5 of 5 Posts