Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the RH front inner fender and battery shelf on my 73. Looks to me like the original panel was spot welded in. Anyone know if this is the case, if so do I remove the original panel by drilling out the welds? Would I then weld in the new panel by welding through the backside of the remaining sheetmetal with the drilled holes?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
First, get a spot weld drill/tool. This is the type I like to use and recommend:

Drill 1/8" pilot holes in the middle of each of the spot welds you need to remove (from the panel you are replacing side). Then use the tool above going in just deep enough to penetrate the panel being replaced. Once you've removed the panel, grind the spot weld sites down smooth. Test fit the new panel and mark the panel from behind with a marker or pencil stuck through the 1/8" pilot holes in the metal the panel joins to. Remove the panel and predrill 3/8" holes in the new panel. Put the panel back into place as fitted and plug weld the holes up and into the metal behind you are joining to. Finish by grinding each of the weld sites to make them presentable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts