Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Q code Vert 4 speed that I am finally going to part out/dispose of. It has some nice parts but the amount of rot and rust is too much for me to handle. My question is - how hard would it be to put the 351C 4V motor with 4 speed trans in a 68 Cougar? Would it be better to get used a 390? And would the 4 speed mate up with a 390? I am also considering selling it all as well.

Here is a link to the folder with the 73 Cougar pictures - http://s1143.photobucket.com/upload/albums/socalcraigster/?location=1973+Cougar

And here is a link to a slideshow for the 68 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CfzeUgiIqY

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So many questions Craigster!

The 351C/4 speed should go into a 68 just fine, although not sure if the exhaust manifolds would fit. As for the toploader fitting a 390, I seem to recall that the 390's did get the small toploader and so that should work as well with the right bellhousing (FE that is). 390 vs 351C in the 68 is of course your call although the 390 would be more original, probably more saleable too thinking about it.

Anyway welcome back, the place has/is falling apart since you were here last.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Linky to '73 no work!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Poor Kitty! I've seen cars that bad restored before - but it takes a dedicated ECI. It can be done!

My buddy Terry brought back a Q-code '73 Mustang 'vert that was about that bad. Two quarters, two replacement doors, new fender aprons, new radiator support, new floors, new inner rockers, new front torque boxes, new taillight panel, new rear wheelhouses.... and he made it a clone to his '73 Mach 1 by converting it to a 4-spd, painting it the same color, painting custom Mach 1-style stripes, Mach 1 grille, NACA-scooped hood with twist-lock hood pins. It took us four years!

Vert

Mach 1

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice work and beautiful result Milo!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor Kitty! I've seen cars that bad restored before - but it takes a dedicated ECI. It can be done!

My buddy Terry brought back a Q-code '73 Mustang 'vert that was about that bad. Two quarters, two replacement doors, new fender aprons, new radiator support, new floors, new inner rockers, new front torque boxes, new taillight panel, new rear wheelhouses.... and he made it a clone to his '73 Mach 1 by converting it to a 4-spd, painting it the same color, painting custom Mach 1-style stripes, Mach 1 grille, NACA-scooped hood with twist-lock hood pins. It took us four years!

Vert

Mach 1

Well my brother-in-law won't help me unless I buy him a new cape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts