Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
73 Montego MX Brougham 15,XXX Miles 429 "N" Code

Hello All.

First, I actually sent a PM to Admin in reference to the policy for off topic cars in this forum back in May and never got a response. With that said, if this is too far off topic please delete and accept my apology.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->I am looking to sell My 1973 Mercury Montego MX Brougham.

I have had the car for about 12 years or so, and over the last two summers have managed to fix or correct most of the issues the car has.

It has been registered for most of that time but was never inspected or even driven that much until the end of the summer in 2010. It has had current MA inspection stickers since.

I have done a ton of work on the car over the years, and I consider it to be a very nice example of a low mileage big block Mercury.

The car had spent most of its life in one garage or another. When I purchased the car, it had the typical problems associated with a car that was rarely used, most notably the carb was messed up from sitting, there was a blister under the vinyl top, the carpet was toast, the tires were toast, the exhaust was toast, those kinds of things.

To correct the mucked up carb issues, I decided to replace the factory EGR intake manifold and carb with a 1970 SCJ square bore cast iron intake and Edelbrock 750 carb. At the time I had the intake off, I pulled the factory
retarded emissions timing chain set and installed a new 1970 Comp Cams timing set to put the cam back to 1970 timing specs. Once this was done it was a complete night and day difference in how the car runs. The car was then driven to Lou's Custom Exhaust and fitted with 2 1/2 pipes front to back, and a nice sounding set of stainless steel Magna Flow mufflers.

I also purchased, a set of Vintage Wheel 15 X 8 Magnums, and NOS Mercury center caps, that are sporting Firestone 275 60's and 255 60's.

Added along the way were a re-chromed rear bumper, Auto Custom Carpet, NOS Ford scuff plates, new Carlite windshiled, and an NOS Montego GT hood.

I have collected the following parts that will be sold with the car to complete the re-paint.

NOS Trunk Lock Medallion & Cover
NOS Grill Emblem
NOS Front Eye Brow Molding (Left & Right)
NOS Door Moldings (Left & Right)
NOS Rear lower Quarter Molding (Right) Could not find NOS for left side.
Used Rear lower Quarter Moldings (Left & Right)
New Dearborn Clasics Headliner

This list is not complete, but gives you an idea of what I was trying to do here.

The following link is to a Torino Cobra post where I detailed the replacement of the rust blister that was under the vinyl top, and all the body work associated with putting on the new top.

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10987

Here are a few different pictures of the car.

With all that said, if the car generates any interest, I have a ton more information from the person I bought it from to document its low mileage history. The car was originally from Harlan Iowa, and bought at an estate auction from the original owner, then on to me.

In addition to the parts listed, I have a bunch of other stuff that I bought but figure I can use on other projects like a complete 4 speed conversion, complete bucket seat, console, column conversion, and enough Ford factory ram air components to build a 1973 Montego MX Brougham 429 4 speed bucket seat Ram Air car, the way Ford should have.

I have all the old parts that were removed, including the hood, carb, intake and anything else.

I am looking to get $9000.00 for the car with the parts listed, or $7500.00 with out the wheels.

Feel free to give me a call or email me if you have any interest. Cell 617-913-5540.

Thanks, Mike Howard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts