Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased 73 cougar. Very pleased over all. I'm not a mechanic by any means and am looking for advise. The car starts and runs smoothly especially after a little war up. The acceleration is bad, although ultimately it will go as fast as I want on the highway. I sense that the car is flooding out some and when I push the accelerator I get some smoke out of the exhaust. When I let the car idle there is significant liquid out of the exhaust.

Recently had valve job - new seets put in.

Isn't using oil.

Thanks

dwl

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
+1 on the ignition timing. My FirstCat ('72 351C-2V, FMX, 2.75 rear) was a dog in the entire year I owned it - until I got the timing set properly just before I sold it. Before it wouldn't even squeak a tire, and after it'd fry one. Also make sure your distributor vacuum lines are connected properly. Kinda tricky/confusing when you have the thermastic vacuum switch and dual diaphragm vacuum advance...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 to that ^ what color it the smoke you see? Black would be a good indicator it's running rich. Blue=oil, white=water. Also could be your carb settings or in need of a tune/rebuild. Be sure your choke is working properly as well. Also be sure to use oil with proper additives now that you went to the trouble to get the valves done.....to protect the cam mostly. You can do a quick vacuum leak test by spraying around with some carb cleaner to see if she stumbles - base of carb, intake areas, hoses etc....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. The motor is 351W, 2 bb. The smoke is black which by one comment supports my feelling of running rich. I will study and act on initial comments.

Happy new year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts