Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What starter did you use? And how much of the bellhousing did you have to remove to clear the starter? Would like to do a swap in a 67 XR7 one day... Currently has a 4R70W
I used the factory starter from the 351C. It wasn't a ton of material moved - it was mostly right around that starter. Maybe 10 sq in overall? I don't have a good pic handy.

You'll like the 6R80 swap. It's still going strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great thread, very useful information. My only question is where did you get the 6R80 from and was it new or used? I want to do a similar swap to my old gal, my mechanic has a used 6R80 laying around he could rebuild for about 3k but I read this article 6R80 Transmission about remanufactured 6r80 transmissions lasting longer than rebuilt ones, is that true??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is a great thread, very useful information. My only question is where did you get the 6R80 from and was it new or used? I want to do a similar swap to my old gal, my mechanic has a used 6R80 laying around he could rebuild for about 3k but I read this article 6R80 Transmission about remanufactured 6r80 transmissions lasting longer than rebuilt ones, is that true??
Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I bought a used 6R80 for $700. I bough it from a local wrecking yard - although ebay is a good source too. Mine came from an F150. The only difference between the mustang and f150 6r80 is the shift linkage - which doesn't matter since you'll be doing something different. I think you'd be fine just getting a used trans as long as it isn't fried. I used the factory 6r80 torque converter with no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really nice looking swap! I am doing a similar swap into a '73 Gran Torino Wagon with a 351c and FMX. What did you end up doing for the telescoping driveshaft?

-Luke

21 - 25 of 25 Posts