Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do the window winder handles look like on the 72, and the 70, also anyone got a picture of those funny door straps on the 72, ours broke off and we want to replace it as close to original, I think they may both have been replaced, or one of them is original and I don't know which one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hello?
I want to know too.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like no-one wants to help us Judy, ah well, we'll live, thanks for the pic you sent me.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ladies,

Window cranks...

You can view what the cranks look like on any Mustang or Cougar vendor's website. The 70 has a color-keyed knob, whereas the 72 should be clear. The 70 knob obviously is replacable and bolts on. The 72 is riveted on and cannot be replaced. They are the same as any Ford window crank from the 70's and are quite common. Even most parts stores have generic replacements marketed by the red carded display 'HELP' brand. I've seen those parts in stores all over the country, so finding a suitable one shouldn't be that hard.

Door pulls...

I have a couple NOS ones laying around, all in black. My last good ginger ones are on AlphaCat. What usually happens is the screw that goes into the handle from the backside (through the door panel) gets pulled out of the handle when the little metal reinforcing clip that is molded into the handle cracks and breaks. The handle itself still looks good, but now there is no way to hold it to the door trim panel.

On BetaCat, someone before me made a nice chrome reinforcement out of 3/16" rod, bent it to the shape of the door handle, and made eyelets at each end. Then a nice decorative chrome screw goes through the eyelet, through the handle and through the door panel, being nutted with a large fender washer on the backside of the door panel. It actually looks quite good.

On the new PartsCat, some previous owner made pulls from a section of an old tooled leather belt (for trousers) and screwed that to the door panels, again nutted on the backside of the panel. I'm sure there are many ways to effect a fix, just use your imagination!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Milo

Thanks Milo!
I thought the window cranks were supposed to be clear...I was right for once! Got one clear.
I was wondering...can the door pulls be fixed once they loose their metal pieces. Ray Harwood, maybe? I have one NOS in Ginger and 2 very cruddy lookings ones but, useable to use on the nice door panels I got from the trade.

Also, once a console is cracked can it be fixed?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Found out that they look like chrome knobs when they are busted off from dry rott.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts