Mercury Cougar Owners banner

'72 XR-7 351 Cleveland-A One Town car

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Dino459 
#1 ·
This is an excellent example and really a text book definition of an unmolested muscle car. The last of an era will end after 1972. This Cougar XR-7 is a rare find for someone who can appreciate its very, very clean condition.

I am the third owner (second was my father-in-law) of this original California car. Not only that, but this car was purchased new in the same town and has remained here for 47 years, since purchase. The original owner lives 6 miles away from my location and we have the original dealer paperwork with the original purchaser and address.

A complete drain of all fluids was completed when my Father-In-Law purchased, including radiator flush. Oil changed regularly.
Per the original owner, the car has been garaged, stored or covered its entire life, including my families time as owners.

The entire car was been inspected and appears to have 100% of its original parts and materials, with the exception of maintenance parts. I believe it may have 1972 tires with only 58,499 original miles, all confirmed by original owner. Obviously, a new set is now in order to be safe, but the tires are in great shape with no checking or cracking. XR-7 wheel hub caps are original and are in excellent condition. Decals, stickers and door plates are all present and clearly legible.

Everything in the interior is original and 100% complete. Not even a tear in the leather seats and the carpet is in the original great condition. Seat belts bear the nylon month and year of install.

Fires up on the first pull and idles great. Compression is excellent and shifts through all gears smooth. Interior lights, map and courtesy lights still work and door buzzer still sounds clear. A/C still blows ice cold and will give you frostbite if you leave it on too long.

A/M, F/M radio comes in clear and this XR7 has all the original gauges, tachs, and clock. Original 3 spoke steering wheel. P/W, P/S, P/B, all working.

The engine is a numbers matching original 351 Cleveland. The best of the 351 motors. All parts appear original, except the air filter, oil filter and battery. Even the radiator cap is original if that is any indication of how well this car has been taken care. Hood insulation is original and in great shape, which is always an indicator that no rat, or varmint infestation has occurred. Tags and stickers are clear and securely affixed.

Cougar XR-7 Badges are all present and I have the original ignition, hood lock and trunk keys. 50/50 Vinyl top is original and has little or no sun wear, no cracks, no rust. Original glass on all sides.

This would be an excellent car to leave original and could easily be a daily driver or show car for any collection.

Noted items:

Rust on rear drivers side near tire well.
Chrome trim (horizontal door guards) is missing on both sides.
Chrome on bumper has normal wear with light rust.

I would put this car in the 2, 3 category all day. It really does justify it being an original California survivor car.

$9,450.00
Dean

Text Font Line Parallel Logo
Motor vehicle Vehicle Green Transport Automotive exterior
Engine Auto part Vehicle Wire Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.