Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this site and would certainly appreciate some help. I recently lost my directional lights on my 72 Cougar and have not been able to trace the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Does anyone no where I can find a set of shop manuals or at least a wiring diagram.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm assuming you have already tried replacing the turn signal 'flasher' unit under the dash, right? Cougars take a wierd one because of the sequental signals in the back. Make sure you get the right one!

OK, other than that obvious problem, chances are that your relay box in the trunk took a dump. They have been the bane of sequentials since the T-birds. Yours is located on the left side, behind the rear wheel well under the cardboard floor extension (in the drop-off).

Earlier cars used a motor with a rotor that made the contacts to the different bulbs. Dirty contacts made for funny turn signals. Not to mention that the arcing current ate away the contact points over time.

Later on (like in your 72), they went to a relay system to handle the current better, but the relays still go bad. They are a PITA to resolve too!

I had a buddy design a solid state switching system for mine (this was almost twenty years ago). It worked, but wasn't totally reliable.

There is a vendor out there (look in the links page) that has developed a commercial version of what my buddy had done for mine. I believe the price is under a C-note and it plugs right in to you existing wiring harness. I'm gonna have to get one for my Beta cat since my turn signals go 1,(2&3 together), (2&3 together) instead of 1,2,3. Oh well. It's one of life's little annoyances!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts