Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(For the email list members, this is a repeat...)

By way of an update on my "new" Cougar, the 72 convertible mutt, after three unsuccessful attempts to get it started, I bit the bullet and had it moved to the local Ford garage. Several of their employess, including the owner, head salesman and service manager are friends of mine, so I trust them to correctly do what is needed and not rip me off. I told them to look around for their fine tooth comb and use it to go over the car - carb, seals, gaskets, brakes, whatever they feel qualified to look at. They'll write a punch list and let me know the cost.

When the car was loaded up, I noticed a rather large pool or tansmission fluid, a smaller puddle of oil, and an older looking spot where the rear end was. The rear end spot might have been from one of my company trucks.

I know the older hands will be shaking their heads that I don't do all this myself, but I just don't feel qualified or have the time. It was killing me to have the car just sitting there in the garage with convertible weather coming up.

Chas

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That's depressing

Sorry, to hear you are going through all that! Hopefully, you'll get it going soon. At least, you have friends you can trust!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Chas,
I think its a good move, after all if you can't trust the ford guys with your car who can you trust? Think of it this way, you can change parts all day and still might not solve the problem. At the end of the day your pockets will be lighter and you may still have to pay someone. I think its a good thing to know your limits, I found mine last week in a welding project at work. I figured out that I can weld something together but when it comes to welding talent I missed the boat....lol
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah, it's like my favorite movie cop Harry Calihan says, a man has got to know his limitations:D . mm

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and I totally agree...

knowing my limits has been an important over the years. Works well when drinking, too.

John, I thought through exactly what you said. Just to get the car started, I would have ended up buying a new battery, selenoid, possibly a starter; it could have gone on for days without finding the right problem. And if there are two, or three, or four problems all going on at once, I might never find it. At least at the garage, they will have a better idea what to look for and if they try a part and it isn't the problem, they can put it back on the shelf and put the old part back in. I don't have that option.

They said it would be about a week before they have a list for me. I'll report back on how much it comes to. That'll be about the time I'll need to know my drinking limit...:eek2:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Price quote in...

Just on the off chance they had time to get it done, I stopped off at the Ford garage and they were working on the estimate as I walked in.

There's a lot - A LOT! - they won't know until they start stripping parts off the engine and elsewhere, but basically they found that the block isn't cracked and the engine will start. Beyond that, everything is in need of repair. Some highlights:

Replace brake system from stem to stern (everything must go down to the bare walls!)
Replace nearly every seal, gasket, and bushing ("nearly every" at this point because some they won't know until they take it apart)
Mild overhaul for the engine (at this point) with an option (theirs) for a total rebuild (again, they won't know for sure until they get in there, but they THINK it won't need a rebuild)
Overhaul steering (I forget what they said about that but I'm sure it wasn't good)
Um, there was a bunch of other stuff like a new battery and tires, but I forget. They hadn't had time to type it up yet.

Estimate: $2000.
Estimated time: 2 to 3 weeks.

Estimated value: Who cares? If it needs fixed, fix it. It's a toy, and toys have to work to have any value.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a really good deal. The estimate to resto my engine was at least $1000. I shudder to think what the body would be:mad: .
I wish I had a thousand bucks:rolleyes: if only I was rich:D
hehe:)
:1poke: Kyle:1poke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
money over time?

Cougar72 said:
I wish I had a thousand bucks:rolleyes: if only I was rich:D
hehe:)
:1poke: Kyle:1poke:
Someday, Kyle, you'll have the money you need. The downside is, you'll be too old for it to matter.

I know whereof I speak...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
$1000?

Kyle- You can overhaul your motor for $1000!? That's cheap! Mine was $2000 done by a friend! He charged me $400 for labor. I did have a cracked head that was $200. The reason I had mine done is, one of my cylinders went when I was driving on ice!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ford Garage

Chas- Add another $1000 to your estimate. That's what I do. I just got my brakes done too. My bill came to $1400. The brakes were all orginal, never replaced. The lines were cracked too. I drove it to Florida and back and forth to Wisconsin a few times! I guess there were Angels looking over me! It's done, though. I'm glad. They went over the car and only found a few minor problems. I need the bushings too but, they don't have the special tool to replace them!! Do your Ford friends have that tool? I need it! I'm going to the Charlotte Auto Show this weekend maybe, someone will have it. Was your car parked on the grass when you bought it? That KILLS brakes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts