Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some new weather striping and having an issue removing the old ones. I know the chrome piece comes off but looks like its glued. Just dont want to destroy the glass.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If it's like earlier cars there is a Philips-head screw just below the bottom of the rubber strip that holds it to the stainless molding. Then it can be slid up out of the channel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you provide a little more detail, because if its the rubber to body there are srcews behind the rubber.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rubber is inside a chrome trim piece. It almost looks like some type of adhesive behind the rubber. I looked and cannot see screws anywhere

·
Registered
73 Posts
A section was doubled sided tape, but that was sandwiched between the 2 chrome strips that attach to body, do you have a photo.
Or is it the rear quarter weather strip between door window and quarter window?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The rubber is inside a chrome trim piece. It almost looks like some type of adhesive behind the rubber. I looked and cannot see screws anywhere
if its the chrome strip between the quarter and door window then you just wiggle it of there is nothing holding it to the glass.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Take a hot air gun and slowly heat the area up. It will soften the rubber or adhesive. You should then be able to wiggle it off. The chrome has been on that window for 40 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts