Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out which holes in the factory hood scoop that the studs go in for a 71-72 GT? I have an original Ford scoop from a 73 Comet GT and it has the multiple holes for the stud locations along with the multiple Ford part numbers. Just trying to figure out which holes are right for the Cougar as someone previously had epoxied some all thread in a couple of holes and then broke them off. If the cougar uses the other locations, then I won't have to try and drill them out. I have a set of replacement factory style mounting hardware for the scoop. Also, does anyone by chance have a template on where to drill the holes. I can see that the inner structure of the hood has holes for access to install the nuts on the studs. Will I need to make a centering jig to center a drill bit in the middle of these access holes? Any advice on the installation or pictures of your installation would be greatly appreciated. Here's a picture of my project XR7 Convertible with the scoop setting on the hood. Thanks, Matt

72 cougar scoop1 (2).jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 1971-72 GT hood scoop is not the same width as the 1969-70 Eliminator/Comet scoop.

John at John's Classic Cougars, Holland MI, has reproduced this scoop. He may be able to help you with a diagram.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts