Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the consoles color keyed to the interior?
my interior is aqua but the console is black.
Did all xr7's come with a console?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My first XR7 was a 69. It did not have a console when I got it in 75. It did have the original ashtray/lighter assy in XR7 burled woodgrain. The ashtray/lighter assy and console could not both be installed, so I will go out on a limb and draw the conclusion that since they did make XR7 specific ashtray/lighter assemblies that consoles were not included with the XR7 package.
A factory installed console should should match the interior trim color.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Not to muddy up the water anymore, but I consulted my Ford Interchange book and here's what it says:

C9ZZ65045A36C1A (base) is correct for the 69 Mustang and Cougar, they use different top pieces - woodgrain is different.

The 1970 number is D0ZZ65045A36G, it will also fit 69s but a 69 console will not fit 70s. There were 4 different woodgrains available this year.

It does not say why a 69 part will not fit a 70 though. Anybody out there know?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks, Mark. That had been bugging me. I'm going to the Mustangs Unlimited show in CT this weekend - They ussually have quite a few Cougars show up. I will have to pay extra attention to the consoles.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
A 69 console is different then a 70. The cig lighter is below the box lid, has holders for the seat belts, smaller box, the 70's lighter is in the dash, doesnt have seat belt holders, and still a small box, but abit bigger then 69.

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks Dark. Only 70 I owed was a parts car for my 69 and didn't have a console. Usually looking at the total package at shows, never noticed the differneces in consoles. I had noticed that some Mustangs didn't have seatbelt holders, but never put 2 and 2 together.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I converted a 69 console to a 70 by swapping the parts out. I found a nice 69 console in a bone yard storage shed for 35 bucks!!! I traded the 69 specific parts for 70 parts (Thanks again Ray) and picked up xr7 woodgrain from John's. The only thing is I don't have a button to open the lid and I stil need a 3 hump top. Did all the 70's come with the button?
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
0ne more time

I will say this one more time!! If a 69 wasnt ordered with the deluxe seat belts it will not have the seat belt slots in the console. I mean without the deluxe option there is no shoulder belts,so you can have a 69 without the slots. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey Mark, did you forget that most of us are suffering from Oldtimers disease? That's not a good sign..... :1poke:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Huh... wait a minute.... what thread was I looking at again????:uhoh: :uhoh:

Don(I think)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Are the consoles color keyed to the interior?
my interior is aqua but the console is black.
Did all xr7's come with a console?
Consoles were an extra option - even on XR7's.
From what I've seen they were usually color coded for the basic colors like blue console in blue interiors, green in green, red in red, black in black. Not sure but I think white interiors got a black console. Aqua inteior maybe they decided that the blue was a shade off so they just went with black instead - does it look like yours was original? Is it listed on your Marti as having come with a console? After searching in vain for a blue '70 console I ended up settling for a black '69 console for my '70. Yes it's not technically correct but I think the seat belt pockets are cool and the black doesn't look too out of place IMO. Many modern cars tend to just have black consoles regardless of interior color (eg, my Mustang has black console with tan seats) so it doesn't bother me to much not to have a blue console.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Greg, I'm disappointed in you!! This has got to be one of the oldest resurrected posts I've seen yet... :1poke:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Greg, I'm disappointed in you!! This has got to be one of the oldest resurrected posts I've seen yet... :1poke:
Something weird's going on :D When I responded yesterday the thread was near the top so I assumed it was still recent - oops.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Nice Going Greg! It only took 5 years for bowl to get his answer...:lol2:

But it must admit, it was kinda cool to see all the old names in the thread many of whom don't post too often over here anymore if at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts