Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 70 XR7 and just recently purchased weather strip and replaced the back window. The window is fine but the gasket won't seem to allow the molding to go in place properly. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The reproduction gaskets do not fit properly as you have found out. Trim a little of the rubber off and get longer clips to hold the molding on. It takes a lot of patience and a fair amount of time, even for an experienced window installer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I called one of the Auto Glass companies in town and they wanted 160.00 to reinstall the glass and put the molding on. I thought that was way high considering they should be a professional shop!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That's not too far out of line. $100 is about what I paid my very experienced glass guy to do it on his own time. It took several hours and a couple of trips to my house to get everything to fit properly. What's $160 if you have no leaks and everything fits properly?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you are correct! not much to pay to make sure that there are no leaks or issues since I have all new interior. Thank you, Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts