Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 70xr7 351c. At first start up the engine runs great but after I drive it around and then stop the engine for a bit it is hard to restart and when it does restart once you start moving the engine will just stop running even if you are traveling at any speed! After that happens it starts right up again but sometimes stalls again. Does anyone have any suggestions to what the problem might be? The engine is newly rebuilt with a new holly 2b carb. I was thinking about putting in a electronic ignition but not sure that would solve the problem. Thank you, Rick

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello Rick Doe it do this when you are low on gas? stuff in the gas tank.. Or maybe your float in your carb are set to high or low? or your fuel pump, is it new or rebult.... some things i was thinking off good luck

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How hot has it been running? Sounds like what we were talking about the other day, Vapor Lock. With the engine being newly rebuilt does it have a spacer under the carb? Is the fuel line lying on the block or intake?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a brand new fuel tank and fuel pump. I will have to take a look at the float set. Thanks for your suggestions. Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has been running at normal temps. I am not sure if there is a spacer under the carb or not but I will check. I will also check the fuel lines as well. I was reading the vapor lock threads and seems like that could be the problem but I will have to check it out. Would the points or condenser have anything to with it? I was thinking about putting in a electronic ignition. What do you think? Thank you, Rick

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I wouldn't go adding anything into the mix until you issolate your trouble. When it won't start are you getting spark at the plugs? See if you can find ignition or fuel trouble when that happens. ( could also be an electrical problem like a bad tach....)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is getting spark since right after it stalls it starts right up again. It's odd because when first started and moving it runs great! it's just after you stop it takes a few cranks and pumping the gas pedal for it to fire up again. Then once you start moving it will just stall out while your moving at any speed. After that happens a few times it goes back to running great again? When they reinstalled the engine they put in a fuel restrictor that I know is right next to the block. Do you think that could be the problem? Thank you, Rick

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Fuel restrictor? Like a regulator? What kind of fuel pump are you running?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you are right! fuel regulator. A new fuel pump was put on when the engine was rebuilt and I believe it is just a replacement nothing special.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Unless an electric pump was added, or some sort of super-duper high output mechanical unit, I can't think of any reason why a regulator would be needed. If it were me, I'd try it without the regulator and see what happens. Also, if there's a fuel filter installed anywhere in the system, its worth checking to make sure its flowing freely.
Depending on what model Holley you have, there may be a small metallic mesh filter inside the fuel bowl housing, right where the line attaches. Those are known for being somewhat clog prone.

http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com/pages/filterreplace1.html

And definitely verify that the carb float level is set correctly, if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, thank you. The shop that put the regulator in did so because they said the original carb had fuel spewing up but they put the regulator in before the new carb. I will take a look at those items. Would the float level have an effect on the engine stalling since it runs great at first start up?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If the level is low to begin with, and there's a restriction in the fuel supply, the fuel bowl could simply be draining to the point the engine won't run. Once its stopped, cranking it over will pump enough fuel back into the bowl that the engine recovers. That may not be what's happening, but its simple and free to check the float level on a Holley, so it makes sense to at least rule it out as a contributing factor.

Here's what you do:

Start the motor and run it for 30 seconds. Turn the motor off and wait 30 seconds for the fuel pressure in the fuel bowl to stabilize. Then remove the sight screw on the side of the fuel bowl. If the fuel trickles out then you are perfect. If it pours out then the level is too high. If nothing comes out then the level is too low.

If the fuel level is too high, put the sight screw back in the fuel bowl and loosen the screw on the top of the fuel bowl and turn the nut below it clockwise 1/2 turn and tighten the screw back down. Start the motor and run for 30 seconds. Turn the motor off and wait for 30 seconds. Then remove the sight screw again to see if fuel trickles out of the hole. If not, then repeat step until it does. Each time remember to put the sight screw back in to the fuel bowl to avoid fuel spillage.

If the fuel level is too low, follow above procedure except turn the nut counterclockwise and repeat above procedure until the desired float level is achieved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank so much for the detailed information!! That's great! I will do that on Saturday since I have the day off. I will let you know what I find. Hope that's the problem! Thank you again, Rick

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah putting in a regulator was not a genius move on the shop's part for sure ...? It's not adjusted correctly or something is wrong internally....end of story They should refund your $ for the rather goofy idea they had in the first place!:bs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fuel trickles out so I believe the float is set correctly. I am going run it around a bit and then stop it and check the fuel and the points. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
SO - when it stalls out does it sputter a lot - or is it just an immediate death? If it's immediate you may be looking at something electric. Does your tach function properly?

·
Registered
245 Posts
So, did you remove the regulator? Also...what type of fuel filter are you running? Bad69cat has a good question above...I'm curious as to what the answer is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, regulator still there. I need to check to see what fuel filter they put on. I believe it is a metal one but I need to check.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, an immediate death! Tach funtions just fine. I took it out for a little run today and when I stopped for about 20 minutes tried to restart and it took a few cranks but started. I let it idle a bit and then headed for home without any issues or stalls. Go figure! I also picked up a petronix ignition since about two months ago I was having some point issues. Thank you,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I think I solved the problem, I changed out the points and condenser to an electronic ignition. Cougar runs great! no stalls or hard start ups. I believe the points have been the problem. Thank you, Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts