Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Am looking at this car, but my expertise is..lacking.

I've attached a few pics of the underside of the car. A good friend said he thought it looked funny but thought the experts should have their say.

I don't know if it's just surface rust, or?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
CatNewbie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi.

Am looking at this car, but my expertise is..lacking.

I've attached a few pics of the underside of the car. A good friend said he thought it looked funny but thought the experts should have their say.

I don't know if it's just surface rust, or?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
CatNewbie
Ouch!! That is not just surface rust.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yep, that torque box looks like it is rusted through at the bottom. you will need to poke around with a screwdriver to see what is just on the surface or what is completely rusted through.
Mine was much worse when I started on my 'vert, so this is nothing unsurmountable. I had the underside of mine media blasted to get an acurate picture of what I needed to cut out and replace. Mine turned out to have more holes than I originally saw as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks like a bad torque box and a patched inner rocker along with a patched floor pan. Not very well done! Unless you have someone that has done this kind of work before and can get this vert dirt cheap, I'd pass. Oh, also you need deep pockets, a firm relationship with the significate other in my case (wifie). I have already spend twice as much as estimated on my project vert and have not driven it in 8 months. Once you tear it down and send it to be media blasted, you will see what little is left to build on. Just my experience! http://s847.photobucket.com/albums/ab32/zilsal/1970%20vert/

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Owner was asking $6500, and I have got them down to $4500, but I think, after hearing everything above, even THAT is too much.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thanks.

Owner was asking $6500, and I have got them down to $4500, but I think, after hearing everything above, even THAT is too much.
Good call I say. Looking at that third picture again, it looks to me like there is NO inner rocker there, it was probably removed when they did the patch job. All I can see is the (rusty) vertical cap on the outer rocker, like HT cars have. The inner rocker consists of the vertical and a U-shaped channel over that which protrudes into the passenger compartment. On convertibles, this inner rocker is visible as a large "rib" structure visible inside the car under the carpet under the thresholds, about the size of a 2 x 4 piece of lumber. Also, the outer seat belts attach to this behind the front seats.

In spite of what I have done, I would run, not walk away from that car. I bought mine for $1900 and most know what I have gone through to "put it right" over the past 7 years. Could it be fixed? Yes. It would be cost prohibitive for most people to have it fixed properly. Unless of course you are an ECI. Even then, look at the time I have spent...

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Once you starting taking it apart and digging into it, the actual amount of rust can be 2 to 3 times more than what you originally thought. For my Cougar that's the case

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Price a west coast rust free shell. (WCRFS) Then do the math on a restore of this one.
If you wanna take the time to do it, you can. But, realize that it is an entire labor of love and that you'll not ever again see the money spent. And, realize that you have no idea what you would be saying yes to, even if you read through Bob's thread about his '69. There's a whole culture of metalwork and fabrication you'd have to embrace to do this one at home, or a stack of bills you'd have to have to get it done by someone professional.
The metalwork alone requires practiced hands and extensive knowledge of that art, and you'd have to learn all that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Word

Price a west coast rust free shell. (WCRFS) Then do the math on a restore of this one.
If you wanna take the time to do it, you can. But, realize that it is an entire labor of love and that you'll not ever again see the money spent. And, realize that you have no idea what you would be saying yes to, even if you read through Bob's thread about his '69. There's a whole culture of metalwork and fabrication you'd have to embrace to do this one at home, or a stack of bills you'd have to have to get it done by someone professional.
The metalwork alone requires practiced hands and extensive knowledge of that art, and you'd have to learn all that.
Thanks much for your input. Very difficult when it's so close, but so far away. Ha ha.
Anyone have a nice, complete, '70 vert for $3K or less they want to part with?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I know how you feel, man. My car was hit by a treetop 2 christmases ago, and I'm still looking for a decent donor for a reasonable price.
And, I vacillate between wanting to just go ahead and fix it myself and just getting out of the hobby altogether.

It's hard to find decent stuff anymore here in the East.
Check with Don Rush and see what he has. Maybe you could buy that 70, strip it, and then put its parts on a nice rust free shell.

·
Registered
442 Posts
CatNewbie, you could buy it as is, drive it until it breaks in two peices and then part it out. Looks like a nice interior with power windows, hood, fenders, etc. Would be fun for a while. Sal

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Might be sacralidge, but buy it cheap, weld in some sub frame connectors and get some body to build up the bottom side with some sheet metal, and drive it like you stole it. If it does fold in half, you have a great interior to go int the next car. In the mean time you have a cool car that you don't have to feel bad about driving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess it depends what's in it. Does it have a nice interior? Nice doors? Does it have a 4 speed. Look at it as a collection of parts? Waht are the parts worth. The shell is worth less than $1000

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts