Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Convertible (not XR-7)with 351C and FMX tranny. Don't have the time to fix so I'm thinking about selling. The 351C was rebuilt before I got the car by reputable shop in Tampa with some performance parts and runs strong but leaks oil in the rear main. The tranny shifts good. The car has some small rust issues like in the rear quarters and the front floor panels where patched up by the PO with fiberglass. The car has a good dash, the top works fine and no leaks on the lines or pump. Needs a paint job and the top replaced (seems to be the original top) no rips but is just worn out and the rear glass window seam is bad. The car is complete, with all the trim in good shape and glass. Front end needs rebuilt and PO removed power steering pump.

Now the question is how much this car is worth? would i get more money if I part it out?

Here are a couple pictures

Front1.jpg

Back1.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Maybe it is just me but in my opinion one does not part out a good body, a convertible no less, just because more money can be made. A car which needs basic restoration to keep it on the road deserves to be kept on the road. Too have been done in already. As to your question it IS worth more whole than as parts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, 51 views and only one reply.

Tbm3fan thanks for your reply. I agree with you somewhat. The reason for my question is that it seems to me that if the car is not a XR-7, Eliminator or equiped with a big block, there's not a lot of interest on the car. I like the car but like I say, I don't have time to work on it so it has been gathering dust in the garage since I got it about 3 years ago. I'll try to sell it as a whole but if it doesn't move in a couple months then part out it is.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
For this one, I would say sell it as a whole. I am first in line to part out an unworthy car, if there is no financial upside to keeping it whole. I took a lot of grief when I parted out a 69 XR7 'vert.

This one, however, has more value as a complete project because if the rust issues are as you describe, it doesn't stop the car from being driven and enjoyed (after the PS issues are resolved). You are not going to get a lot of money for the drive train, and the interior for a standard convertible won't attract a great deal of interest as pieces. Even the desireable options are not bringing the money they used to.

Parting out a car is a pain, especially when it gets to the point where you can't roll it any more.

BTW, how much are you asking for it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello 2720r. Not sure what I'm going to ask for. I actually got it on a trade for a jet ski and some cash. I guess If I rebuild the front end and the PS it could be driven and easier to sell. I'll have to give it some thought this week and make a decision.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hello 2720r. Not sure what I'm going to ask for. I actually got it on a trade for a jet ski and some cash. I guess If I rebuild the front end and the PS it could be driven and easier to sell. I'll have to give it some thought this week and make a decision.
Get it road worthy. Drive it and I bet almost every day day someone will stop you in a parking lot or stop light and say "it's a cool car!" or "I used to have one", or "my dad had one and I always wanted it" or "would you consider selling it?" etc.
Maybe put a sign in it. I agree, it's a sin to part out a decent car. However, if I had unlimited money and CJ car that needed a 1/4 panel and I might do whatever it took to make it perfect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I for one vote for you to keep it whole. I just purchased a 70 Vert last fall (not an XR7) and have no regrets. It has a few unique features but a standard none the less. Is your car the original color inside and out? Sometimes a Marti report finds that it has a couple of odd ball options and it would help sell the car regardless of the rust issues. Being that its a 1970 and thats one of the years Mercury made the least convertibles, I would say keep it on the road.

Not sure how many are still on the road but the loss of another would be a shame. It sounds like the drive train is still worthy so my vote is keep it or sell it whole. I know the market is pretty soft and you may have to sacrifice the car at a lower price if you want to do that.
Just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The problems you describe are pretty minimalistic in the greater scheme of things...these cars weren't what modern cars are, so after 40 years of wear and tear you are in great shape IMO. I seriously doubt you will have any problems selling it....the less that needs doing the more value it has of course. (I know - or the more it will cost you) It's really if you like it enough to stick the time/money/effort into it or not.

You got the bettern end of the deal anyway - where do you think that jet ski will be in 5 years! - File 13 I'd bet

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I agree, that one looks too solid to part out. I'd say easy 4-7K, and I can't see it that well from here...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...I took a lot of grief when I parted out a 69 XR7 'vert...
LOL Randy. On the flip side fo that argument, I took a lot of grief for restoring Isabel too!

...BTW, how much are you asking for it?
There is the right question (but is answering your question with a question).

The answer is that it is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay (and that is as much of a non-answer as one can find too!).

I'll start the opining, probably worth 5-8K?

Good luck and regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Even though it is a non xr7 vert its still rare. only 2322 non xr7 verts were made in 1970 and out of the 2322 how many are actually left? Look at it like that and realize your car is WAY to nice to part out. Then if you do then you gotta take parts off, then package it then ship it Then you got a caracas in your garage you gotta dispose of. Trust me man its a solid ride put it up on craigslist and sell it. I have owned my 70 for 23 years and get so many thumbs up when i drive it or get alot of rubber neckers, its a great feeling to drive it when i do. I say throw on a set of magnum 500s fix the issues and enjoy it some. Then if you decide to sell it you can say you got some fun out of it and then someone else can enjoy it.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys... Thanks for the feedback. I got this car because it was a great deal trading a jet ski and some cash for it and I used to have a 70 XR-7 Hardtop back in the late 70s. I really wanted to fix it up but it has been quite difficult with my job as I'm traveling 70-80% of the time. Money is no issue, it's just time to do the work. I restored and restomod a few Mustangs so I know what's involved. All of you have good valid points. Pating out is off the table thanks to you guys. I don't really need the money so I will probably get a storage and start buying the parts needed to get it road worthy and then take it from there.

Thanks Everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Glad to see that you are going to keep it and work on it when you have more time. I also have a 70 plain vert that was not a good candidate to restore but I just had to try. I hate to see any of these convertibles parted. Sal Cougar geek

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts