Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say thanks for the answers to my last post.

I'm new around here, and chances are you will be seeing a little more of me, since my new purchase of a 70 XR7 vert. I'm a moderator across the net at Vintage-mustang.com, and spend quite a bit of time over there. I currently own 4 classic mustangs. However I do own 3 classic cougars and a slew of other cars as well.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm trying to decide on whether to restore or modify the vert, and I'm leaning toward making a Convertible Eliminator Replica! I know for some of the purist that is taboo. I also know Convertible Eliminators were never made. I have seen some Mustang California Specials/convertibles that were also never made, but they looked really good and thus...what draws me to them! So for the purist, it being a fake can be spotted a mile a way, especially when you see it with the top down.

Now for the questions,
Since my knowledge of cougars is far less than it is of mustangs, what would be needed to turn it into a replica?

I'm thinking; Front spoiler, hood scoop, stripes, Rear spoiler, anything else? What about engine dress up, was it different? Interior components or Eliminator only options?

Second question;
Where can I buy new parts for cougars? Does anyone make upholstery kits?

Last and most important;
Who has or where can I view photos (larger the better for detail) of 1970 Cougar Eliminators, Convertibles or I'm sure this is not an original idea, so how about some photos of someone else's Convertible Eliminator Replica?

I have checked out the photos page here, and I might add...there are some very nice cats around.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i know Auto Kraftes has alot of interior stuff for the cars. im pretty sure they have Eliminator stuff too. What are you going to do with this car anyway?? is it going to be a modified car?? is it going to be a grease mark resto of what the factory WOULD HAVE done?? or just a cool looking driver?? if it was my car, id do the interior ( err, seats, guages trim was camera case i think ) and get the spoilers and stripes and stuff. and do the engine to my likeing. ( a 400hp 351C :D maybe a big block.. ) i dont see a problem with it at all. i remember a 69 Convt clone that was at a show a while back. nice car ( it was for sale too, 10K i think ) my advice as a 20 year old punk kid.... JUST BUILD IT AND ENJOY IT. trailer queens suck

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This was covered recently, but I couldn't find the posts. Convertible Eliminator clones are pretty common. Here are a few good ones below.
If you want it to look like a real Eliminator it should have high back bucket seats, standard or decor interior, Elim gauges....same as XR-7 but with a camera case finish also on the console. Black out the grill (leave 69 center chrome) and tail lights. Hood scoop, spoiler, front chin spoiler. Stripe kit.
No 351 2bbls. 351 4bbl was standard. 390 4V (1969 only), 428CJs were optional, Boss 302 was available, but would be out of it's element in a heavier convertible.
Style steel wheels, either ones, slotted w/cap or argent w/ stainless inserts.
Should be a Elim color.

There is a vendor list here, they should all carry upholstery. Door panels and dash pads are another problem!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Tim.

Has that red 70 convert got sports special side trim?

Eventually I'm going to do my 70 428 XR7 convert (originally red with black interior) with eliminator stripes but not with rear wing or front spoiler (too common on local Falcons)

I'm a believer in build it like you like it, as long as you don't destroy anything that is rare - ie the 428 wont hav extra holes drilled any where and drivetrain and interior will be restored (once I win lottery to pay for missing ram air and smog bits)

My 69 convert will get the full eliminator add ons but with boss hood scoop and custom interior. It's only a standard and nothing special - even has optional unglued lift out windows.

I'm a firm believer that they should be built to be appreciated and to be enjoyed

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've started doing the same thing. I have a 70 Convertible that's already been modified enough prior to my purchase to worry about the originality. I have picked up the rear spoiler, which is from a Mustang...don't tell anyone;) . I have since picked up a factory hood scoop via Ebay. Having the factory scoop is real nice as the hood already has provisions for where to drill the holes in the sheet metal on the underside.

Right now they are both painted satin black as I don't believe I could match the paint since it's not a factory color. Once I'm ready to paint I'll put them to car color. I plan on getting the chin spoiler and the strips. That will be the extent of my conversion.

See here:
http://www.mikesjunk.com/cougar.html

The pics here don't show it with the hood scoop as we've not had a nice enough day for me to pull it out of the garage a take the pictures. Good ole Michigan weather!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Leon.

I certainly believe they should be built to be appreciated and enjoyed. I can appreciate a clone or 'phantom' if it's done right. It's not much work to slap on stripes. If it looks 'factory' it's more convincing, if it doesn't look factory it looks like a wannabe.

The red one does have SS rockers, the grill isn't fully blacked out, the front seats are Mach1s with the red stripe, the back seat is XR-7 with a red stripe dyed into it. But it does have the right stripes, spoilers and wheels. It looks very good.
The blue Elim is probably the best clone I've seen. It is 'right' as rain.

There was another clone that had aftermarket wheels, a bad copy of the stripes, cheezy ELIMINATOR lettering. It didn't fool me at 100ft. LOL. You didn't ask for my opinion, but if you are going to do a clone Leon it should have a rear spoiler.
With 49 1969 428CJ convertibles remaining, do you really want to make it into something that it's not? It plenty interesting as it is!!!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Tim

I really don't want to turn the 70 (XR7 428 ram air convert) into a clone, I just like the hood and side stripes so I'm going to add them to it when I get it re-painted. I can always remove them if I want to go back to original look

The 69 convert is only a standard with 302 installed (should be 351 2v) so it doesn't really matter what I do to it. It already has decore trim so I just need to change door panels and dashboard panels, add spoilers, stripes and paint outs to make it a clone

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree with everybody that you should build it the way you want it as long as its not a problem to return to stock someday if you want. Although wvcat is not a vert it was a XR7 and I did the outside and kept the interior as close to stock as possible. Myself I enjoy my car and drive it everywhere. Its nice having the eliminator look and the xr7 comfort, AC and all!!! My car was a factory 351w 2barrel single exhaust car and now the motor is built, it has AOD and hauls ass!!! I think I've just made it better and a lot more fun to drive, not to mention the curb appeal. The best part is that if I decide to restore it someday I didn't do anythang thats not reversible.
John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Not an Eliminator, but...

I had mentioned somewhere else on these boards that a buddy of mine made a '73 'Mach 1 convertible' to be an exact twin to his 73 Mach. Same 351C-4V, same 4-speed, striping, color, hood locks, front spoiler, interior, etc. The only thing is that the stripe was painted on instead of the true Mach 1 decal so he could leave out the Mach 1 lettering. Again, I have a couple of pics but I still can't post them. (One of these days I'm gonna have to break down and get a good photo editing software!)

I don't think I had the additional emblem on Alpha when I took the pic of Alpha Cat, but my intent was to make a 73 'GT'. I couldn't find a 71 GT emblem, so I made it a 'Cougar MX' using an emblem from a Montego MX. Don't hate me, but I wanted to set my car apart. The 'MX' stood for Milo's (that's my name, BTW) Xperimental. Yeah, yeah, I know its hokey. I put on the Eliminator/GT hood scoop, and I have been looking for a front spoiler I can use on the 73s front crash bumper. Maybe the plastic front air dam-type from a pickup? I don't know....

Sorry for the ramblings....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts