Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi felllow cougar fanatics.
Got a question for yas.Has anyone rebuilt a vacuum canister before?Instead of sending it out to have it rebuilt?Was just curious cause i never rebuilt the one for my 70 convertble and i had some hoses switched and disconnected to make em work properly. But i could not take that air leaking hissing sound another day anymore so i wanna have it done right.Plus can anyone tell me who rebuilds them? I appreciate all info that is posted on this subject
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you are talking about the vaccum canister that mounts on the fender well, that does not rebuild-as far as i know, just welded air tight to hold the air to shut the doors when the engine is not running.....Now if you are talking about the vaccum motor itself, that does rebuild. Now i have taken one apart, and was told that you dont do it from the sealed seam....the guy told me that he replaces the rubber seal that is under the rubber boot that covers the shaft to the vaccum motor...Now how he does it , I dont know, without unsealing the seam. But it is the rubber seal that sits at the base of the motor shaft, which is under the or at the base of the rubber boot. I always at first thought that the bellowed rubber boot held the vaccum to the motor, which is not true...it is just a cover to keep the shaft clean from dirt. 'there is ken ken in oklahoma and is on the web page(dont know the address) but cascade in oregon also, there are several people and can find web address from links to that kind of service from several diff web pages of cougar fans.....hope this helps a little...one other thing...if the diaphram inside that motor goes bad, as far as i understand, you need a new motor all together,,dont think there is a rebuild kit for that one....sorry, but i may be wrong there too....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Good question. I've been meaning t bring that up. i think mine needs fixing as well. Once I get it out and inspect it. I may repair the holes, if any, myself, weld a patch or something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
good idea,,,,never thought of that one yet,,,,but if the diaphram inside the motor is bad,,,could use a bike patch kit to patch the rubber inside ,,,if there was like a little hole in it or such.....one thing you need to be careful is,,,,when you undo the seal around the mid section of that vaccum motor,,,,is align the shaft right or it wont hook up right with the rods to the motor shaft...i found out the hard way on that one.......let me know if you are confused on that one and i may explain a little better........

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Im talkin about the canister under the fender.
i never thought of patching the diaphram in the vac.motor, i was just going to get a new or rebuilt one. hmmmmmmmmm.
when the rubber old, theres just no fix for that but a new diapram. I know i have to look into that area for my car but i just havent gotten to it yet, i havnt tested it but i am sure it will have leaks all over that system, from the switch onward. fun fun

·
Registered
78 Posts
that canister off from the fender well inside of the driver side , from what i understand is just a air tank....and is just sealed with a weld.....now if it leaks.....i was told to take jb weld and spread that around it to seal areas that are leaking.....or if money permits...buy another canister.....either way which is better or best......i like to tinker repair first before shelling out the cash...but i like to know how things work.....and try to repair myself knowing that the job is done by me and right...if i can do that one right the first time...which isnt the case 80% of the time ...but that is the fun part....LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
me too. i love working on my old cars.
the cougar is my favorite one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey "BOWL"....say i see that you have a 70's parts car.....can you spare anything off from it...????....like i am looking for a "nut" that fits on the gas door backside...they are rounded hex type deals...well i just thought i would throw that one in and see what happens.....thanks.....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
yes i have some extra ones i can spare. e-mail me and ill just send them to you. Ill take a pic of one in a few. and post it to be sure they are the ones.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
which one of these is it?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Bowl, I was thinking on how to fix that canister under the fender myself. I was going to sandblast the whole thing and then fiberglass resin and cloth the whole thing! Easier than trying to braze rusted pin holes in that thin tank and it could be sanded down smooth and painted to look about normal. Yeah like anyone else is going to see it anyway right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts