1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
That has the N-code 429-4V, Thunderjet engine, T-Bird and all around passenger car engine.

Definitely not a 429 Cobra Jet.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im still droolin :) Didnt expect it was a 429 CJ VIN car but I love that one year of the Torino GT body style. Wish my vert was in sellable condition. Unexpected full inner rocker repair on a car that was "rust free"... priceless.. literally :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So uhh.. I called..

Apparantly this is an original 429 4 speed car.... Not sure about the original motor. The guy I was speaking with said and I quote "Yeah it might have been a cobra jet... I dont know the guy that checked it out the VIN said it was the original some kind of jet car..."

He's getting me the VIN.. Wife is really going to shoot me if I do this.. Not even sure I will.. Geeze what a smoking deal if its the real thing.

Anyone else whose intrested don't hesitate to jump in. I'm still way too undecided to act.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy got back to me. First 5 digits of the VIN: 0R35N

So it's a real 4 speed 429 car. Just not a CJ

Still.. sweet deal IMO

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
This car:

... is also a '70 Torino GT 429 (N-code) 4-spd. 72k orig miles, painted '71 Grabber Green instead of the original army-tank-green metallic (olive?). My buddy Keith paid $1100 for this one 25 years ago...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am a torino guy and honestly, I don't think that price is that good. Non-standard paint that looks tired, the hood has been modified with some sort of ram air setup, grill is missing some pieces, etc. I'd look it over really carefully before buying.

For $11-12k, you should be able to get a better torino than that. Unfortunately (or fortunately if buying), torinos and montegos/cyclones just don't seem to sell for as much as a lot of other/comparable cars.

best of luck!
Jay

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am a Torino guy also and here is what $8000 will buy....1970 Fairlane 500 CJ Clone with fresh 429CJ, Shaker, Big Spline Toploader and a 3.50 31 spline traction-lok rear.

and here is what 12,900 will buy you......1970 Factory Red J-code Torino Cobra 429CJ, CJ-C6 and big geared n-case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts