Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Any chance you want to try it yourself? It's not that big of a repair but it does require patience. Simpler in-car than sending an entire column out (IMHO).

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I sent him a pm through this site a couple weeks ago and he never responded. I have my column semi torn apart and I'm looking for help too.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If you guys need help post up some pics and/or questions! We can help!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
So here is a picture of my column opened up a bit. If I push hard on these 2 points, there is a bit of defelection. It is exagerated with the steering wheel installed. Any thoughts?

Thanks

http://dynamicservice.com/tilt-s.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If you look down (inside) the column do you see a steel pin that is going from one side of a gear to another? Sometimes that pin walks out a bit and causes quite a bit of play.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hey guys!

Yes, still here and still rebuildin' tilts! Am not sure why I was not notified of the PM's etc. I believe that I have my profile set up to allow emails to be sent from members...... But, computers and I have this hate hate relation ship......so no surprise!

The 70 tilts are a unique item in that it is the first year for the design where the key is now integral to the column. As a result, there are a couple of problem areas, the most common being the one that was mentioned, where a pin (or two!) slips out of place and then raises all hell with the parts....usually resulting in more bad parts..... I have the castings rebushed and a new captive pin put in place. I can also install a pin with clips even if your column hasn't gone to the dark side yet...! Fortunately, Ford fixed or at least addressed one of these areas in mid 1971, and if you can find them, these columns can be raided for parts to repair a 70. I spend a lot of time in wrecking yards trying to keep my inventory up.....but supplies are getting to be extinct!!!!

Cheers!
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts