Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted the reflectors on the taillights white instead of silver or chrome?
I was reading on another ford forum, some guys say its brighter. Never really read anything here about it.
I've put the 2357 higher wattage bulbs in, and repainted the reflectors with chrome paint, and it made a noticeable difference.
I was just wondering if a white reflector would really make it POP!

Any 2 cents would be cool.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I painted inside my taillights and front marker lights gloss white instead of silver for that very reason. They look much brighter to me.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Be carefull with higher watt bulbs....don't want to see you melt/burn anything. I'm not sure that TL harness is made for more amps than OE bulbs...? Anybody else have an issue with that? At least keep tabs on it for awhile.....I'm currious.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Has anyone ever painted the reflectors on the taillights white instead of silver or chrome?
I was reading on another ford forum, some guys say its brighter. Never really read anything here about it.
I've put the 2357 higher wattage bulbs in, and repainted the reflectors with chrome paint, and it made a noticeable difference.
I was just wondering if a white reflector would really make it POP!

Any 2 cents would be cool.

I decided to go with Catman's system. He supplied the film and instructions for getting the most out of the setup. I used OEM 1157's and have done the driver's side and will finish the passenger's side this week. I took some pics in daylight and at night and aside from my crappy skills at picture taking, I think you can get the idea on how much better the new setup is. The first thing I noticed is how much more you can see the little "pixels" on the left. The OEM setup makes it look like the red lens is flat, especially from a distance. You can also see the individual bulbs with the OEM setup whereas with the reflective film the bulbs are hard to see since the whole lens is so much brighter. The first pic is with just the lights on. The second is with the brake pressed. The night pics are with the brakes on. I would have tried taking clearer pictures but it's freezing here so I did the best I could. You can also see the brighter reflection coming off the bumper in the night pics. I'm glad I went this route given the price of LED bulbs and how good this setup looks.
<FIELDSET class=postcontent><LEGEND>
Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND> </FIELDSET>
<!-- / attachments -->
69 XR7 Vert., Bright Blue Metallic with Blue interior, 302 2V automatic, Holley 600 CFM carb, Firestone Indy 500 tires, Cragar wheels

<HR>
<LI id=post_442784 class="postbit postbitim postcontainer">November 7th, 2010 #65
motley1987

Re: LED taillight replacement for sequentials
Here are the night pics..the first pic is the OEM setup, the second is the new version with the reflective film.
<FIELDSET class=postcontent><LEGEND>
Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND> </FIELDSET>

<LI class="postbit postbitim postcontainer">
<LI class="postbit postbitim postcontainer">You may want to try reflective film. It's really works well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the reflective film is like a high quality chrome tape?
Does it lay down pretty much wrinkel free? Is there any chance the adhesive tape may let go in the summer heat? "All one week of it here"
The pictures are great by the way.
How much does the tape system cost?

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
So the reflective film is like a high quality chrome tape?
Does it lay down pretty much wrinkel free? Is there any chance the adhesive tape may let go in the summer heat? "All one week of it here"
The pictures are great by the way.
How much does the tape system cost?
Sent you a PM .

·
Registered
97 Posts
i did mine in white also and it is a lot better than the silver or chrome paints.

i have tried a few things for tail lights. the chrome tape works very well, but i think i liked the white paint better.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
i did mine in white also and it is a lot better than the silver or chrome paints.

i have tried a few things for tail lights. the chrome tape works very well, but i think i liked the white paint better.
Re: 70 Tail Light Brightness

I painted inside my taillights and front marker lights gloss white instead of silver for that very reason. They look much brighter to me.​

Jeff Bingaman

By any chance could you guys post some pictures so we can compare? Sounds like a good idea and an easier fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mine is still in storage locked up tight and cozy for the winter. :)

the differance is enough for me to say it is much better painted white rather than silver or chrome paint. hands down, you might not even need the hi watt bulbs.

the light is spread out more and it makes the tail light housing glow more fully than the silver paints.
the chrome tape is bright and sharp and projects from the light source where the white paint spreads the light in side of the housing giving a fuller contained light but still nice and brighter than the original paint.

i know if i were the guy following my car with a half a dozen tail lights. i would prefer the painted white where the light is bright but has a softer contrast than say a mirror finnish.
to much light would be blinding to the ones with marginal eye sight behind ya.
"hi grampa"
don't want a car in the shake and bake zone back there. :)

all the originals that i have seen are painted with an almost flat silver paint.

mick

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
mine is still in storage locked up tight and cozy for the winter. :)

the differance is enough for me to say it is much better painted white rather than silver or chrome paint. hands down, you might not even need the hi watt bulbs.

the light is spread out more and it makes the tail light housing glow more fully than the silver paints.
the chrome tape is bright and sharp and projects from the light source where the white paint spreads the light in side of the housing giving a fuller contained light but still nice and brighter than the original paint.

i know if i were the guy following my car with a half a dozen tail lights. i would prefer the painted white where the light is bright but has a softer contrast than say a mirror finnish.
to much light would be blinding to the ones with marginal eye sight behind ya.
"hi grampa"
don't want a car in the shake and bake zone back there. :)

all the originals that i have seen are painted with an almost flat silver paint.

mick
Well I’ll tell ya mick where I live it’s a little town known as ‘The town of the newlywed and the nearly dead.’ If it isn’t grandpa or grammas taking what seems like forever to respond to a green light or tourists’ with their heads spinning around and around looking at everything, it’s the rest of them texting with their cell phones weaving all over the road. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to come up with a more noticeable taillight and brake light for the early Cougars without spending 2 to 3 hundred for LEDs and the peripherals to make them work correctly. It is also difficult for some people to see early Cougar brake lights in the bright sunlight with all the chrome. The OEM silver just don’t make it. Now the white paint, you guys may have something there.

Hopefully 70Houndstooth will install the reflective film kit on one side and paint the other side white and post day and night pictures to compare. I’m all for brighter tail and brake lights no matter how it’s done because it’s a safety thing. Reflective film is about just as bright as LEDs when using standard OEM 1157 bulbs. That’s been proven already.

·
Registered
270 Posts
After reading this, yesterday I decided to paint the insides of mine gloss white. It made a huge difference. While I was at it, I clear coated my red lenses. That may have helped too. I think after a while the clear may begin to yellow. The lenses are showing their age anyway. If they yellow, I'll get some re-pops.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got the reflective film from catman. I'll try and do a side by side comparson with white paint and reflective film. As soon as it warms up a little bit.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Sorry for the delay but here are some pics of my taillights with the white painted housings. First 2 pics are in the direct sunlight and the other two are at night, both with the brake pedal depressed. DSC00002.jpg DSC00003.jpg DSC00007.jpg DSC00008.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
I put ground wires to my tail lites and the difference is unreal

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dave 077.jpg Ok heres what i got done so far. One pic w/flash one without.
The chrome film is from catman. The gloss white paint went real quick. Cutting and taping the chrome strips took 2 1/2 hrs. Once I get them put back in, I'll post some more pictures with them lit up side by side.

dave 076.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres a couple shots with chrome painted reflectors with 2357 bulbs. I shot these in the garage kinda close, so they may be deceptive.
First one is just running lights. Second one is with brakes applied.

dave 071.jpg
dave 074.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
tail lite grounds 002.jpg tail lite grounds 003.jpg I have some pics of what i did for my tail lites tail lite grounds 001.jpg these grounnds made such a difference.and very little work

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
View attachment 25593 View attachment 25594 I have some pics of what i did for my tail lites View attachment 25592 these grounnds made such a difference.and very little work
That's a great idea! You should draw up a diagram, bill of materials and cost or sell kits. Post some pictures. Daylight, direct sunlight (if possible) and nitetime.
Better ground, brighter lights, can only enhance the OEM, white paint's and reflective film properties.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts