Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
Is there a simple (or complicated-LOL) way to use/wire a '70 tach with a 5.0 converted cat? Ragcat II is a standard but I have a XR7 instrument panel lying around here and the 'I wonder' bug just bit me.............
Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations, www.rccinnovations.com. There you will find what you seek, a tach for standard clusters that will work with modern ignitions with no muss, no fuss.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
And it will look like this installed.
View attachment 25929
would that work on my 70 Cougar? not sure what a standard cluster is, but where the tack is in your photo there is nothing on my cluster. always wanted a tach there but was told the circuit board on the back of the cluster would not support a tach-

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies all. I had forgotten all about the rocketman's tachs. Guess I can get some use out of this old XR7 instrument panel after all.
Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
would that work on my 70 Cougar? not sure what a standard cluster is, but where the tack is in your photo there is nothing on my cluster. always wanted a tach there but was told the circuit board on the back of the cluster would not support a tach-
A "standard" is a non-XR7 Cougar and from how you describe your cluster, you have one. So yes, RCCI's tach for 69/70 standard would fit.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The picture I posted is of a 1970 Standard instrument cluster with the rocketman tach installed. This tach is an electrical one and is not connected into the stock wiring so it will work on anything.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The picture I posted is of a 1970 Standard instrument cluster with the rocketman tach installed. This tach is an electrical one and is not connected into the stock wiring so it will work on anything.
that is good to know. i see he is currently out of stock for the G2S. any special tools or skills involved for the install? the dash is disassembled now to replace the heater core, so now would be a good time.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
that is good to know. i see he is currently out of stock for the G2S. any special tools or skills involved for the install? the dash is disassembled now to replace the heater core, so now would be a good time.
No special tools. It's just three wire connections. You will need to modify the lens mounting a bit in order for it to stay in place but that's it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Jeff, I just picked up one of these rocketman 1969/70 standard tachs from Don's place today. I can't wait to install it on my red 1969 Standard Cougar convertible!! I also picked up a clock relocation kit, so I plan to try out that upgrade as well. I figured that since I have to pull the dash pad out anyways, that I should make all these changes at once. The best part of this, is that it will all look factory installed. I'll post some photos of when it is done! By the way, your dash looks great.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Jeff, I just picked up one of these rocketman 1969/70 standard tachs from Don's place today. I can't wait to install it on my red 1969 Standard Cougar convertible!! I also picked up a clock relocation kit, so I plan to try out that upgrade as well. I figured that since I have to pull the dash pad out anyways, that I should make all these changes at once. The best part of this, is that it will all look factory installed. I'll post some photos of when it is done! By the way, your dash looks great.
You'll love the tach. Thanks for the compliment. If you just picked it up at Don's today, sounds like I'll be seeing you tomorrow at the all ford show in Hillsboro. True?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts