Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 70 SCJ Eliminator back from KTL. Great job Tom! We are finalizing some of the details for a concourse restoration, and have come up with the following questions. These questions were already posed to Kevin Marti, Bill at Mansfield Mustang, and Scott Hollenbeck at the 428 CJ website with no resolution, so any help is much appreciated.

1. I double checked with Kevin Marti and he is certain that the engine code for this car is 425A, which is what the aluminum engine tag says. I cannot find a valve cover decal for 425A. Has anyone seen one for sale or know who makes these decals?

2. I have seen many 428 CJ engines with an "S" paint mark on the left front of the engine block beneath the head. My question is as follows: what does this mark stand for? Does it correlate with the engine tag (ie 425S), and therefore should my car have an "A" paint mark there?

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Joe, questions like these interest me. I know I haven't ever owned a 69-70 or any Cougar with a 428 CJ (maybe someday :)). The 428 CJ engines that you have seen with the "S" on them on the left front beneath the head, were they on a 69, 70 or both years? John

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe, questions like these interest me. I know I haven't ever owned a 69-70 or any Cougar with a 428 CJ (maybe someday :)). The 428 CJ engines that you have seen with the "S" on them on the left front beneath the head, were they on a 69, 70 or both years? John
John- I saw the "S" on a 69 4 speed. I'm amazed how little info is available. Even the 428 CJ website has no tag listed for a 70 SCJ with C-6. I have 69 CJ with C-6 that is a 421S, and a 69 SCJ with a "T". It would be a great project to compile our Cougar 68-70 CJ and SCJ engine tag data. Should be the same as Mustang...?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
All 1969 and 1970 428 Cobra Jets in a Mustang or Cougar with either R or Q code engines, can be either 420, 421, 424, or 425, with a suffix.
On page 92 of Kevin Marti's Mustang and Cougar Tag Book, it explains the suffix letters after the 420, 421, etc.

My January 1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ Cougar with 4 speed is 424S.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All 1969 and 1970 428 Cobra Jets in a Mustang or Cougar with either R or Q code engines, can be either 420, 421, 424, or 425, with a suffix.
On page 92 of Kevin Marti's Mustang and Cougar Tag Book, it explains the suffix letters after the 420, 421, etc.

My January 1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ Cougar with 4 speed is 424S.
And yet Kevin Marti could not tell me if the paint mark on the block should match the letter on the tag. He also told me to try to find someone to make a 425A decal, but could not tell me who to call to get the tag made. These are my questions...

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 69 428 SCJ is 425T April 69. That is also on the engine metal tag.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
My car has the snake valve covers, they are presumed to be originals. Does your car have them Joe?

Osbourne makes most of the Ford decals, and has the Ford licensing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There was a change in late 69 from the chrome valve covers to the finned valve covers, which continued with the 428 in 1970. I thought that the snake valve covers only came from the factory on the mustang 428 in 1970. I changed the valve covers on my 428 to the snake valve covers.

Steve

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car has the snake valve covers, they are presumed to be originals. Does your car have them Joe?

Osbourne makes most of the Ford decals, and has the Ford licensing.
It has the aluminum valve covers. No snake.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I checked the Osbourne site- no 425A decal. I guess I could call them. So, no answer to my question on whether the
paint marked letter on the left side of the block under the head should match the tag, or for that matter what that paint mark means.

Any concourse judges care to take a stab at this?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You must have missed this page. I've got two SCJ/auto codes listed there:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-engine-codes
Thanks Scott, if I am not mistaken, you list two 69 Scj codes and one 70 Scj code for a manual. I do not see a code for a 70 Scj automatic. Perhaps my 425A code can be added to the site's information, as Kevin Marti has confirmed it is correct.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just got my 70 SCJ Eliminator back from KTL. Great job Tom! We are finalizing some of the details for a concourse restoration, and have come up with the following questions. These questions were already posed to Kevin Marti, Bill at Mansfield Mustang, and Scott Hollenbeck at the 428 CJ website with no resolution, so any help is much appreciated.

1. I double checked with Kevin Marti and he is certain that the engine code for this car is 425A, which is what the aluminum engine tag says. I cannot find a valve cover decal for 425A. Has anyone seen one for sale or know who makes these decals?

2. I have seen many 428 CJ engines with an "S" paint mark on the left front of the engine block beneath the head. My question is as follows: what does this mark stand for? Does it correlate with the engine tag (ie 425S), and therefore should my car have an "A" paint mark there?

Thanks for any insight!
FYI, the paper tag you speak of does not go on the valve cover, it goes on the head just below the valve cover on the pass. side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks Scott, if I am not mistaken, you list two 69 Scj codes and one 70 Scj code for a manual. I do not see a code for a 70 Scj automatic. Perhaps my 425A code can be added to the site's information, as Kevin Marti has confirmed it is correct.
Sorry, I missed the "70" part. I'd like to see more documentation and a copy of the tag (can you send a picture?) before I add it to the ID page. I'll check my own references, too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I missed the "70" part. I'd like to see more documentation and a copy of the tag (can you send a picture?) before I add it to the ID page. I'll check my own references, too.
I can send a picture of the tag, as well as the Marti report and the VIN. Need any other info? I will be home Sunday night. Where would you like the info sent? You're email?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Joe, maybe you can contact Bob Perkins about this situation. I was just reading a MM article about a concours 428 CJ detailing article featuring a Perkins detailed CJ. Unfortunately although this article is pretty detailed it doesn't mention the decal your referring to. As a matter of fact the only thing it shows on the valve cover is a yellow OK stamp on the left side cover and nothing on the right. He might be a good person to contact if you can get a hold of him.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joe, maybe you can contact Bob Perkins about this situation. I was just reading a MM article about a concours 428 CJ detailing article featuring a Perkins detailed CJ. Unfortunately although this article is pretty detailed it doesn't mention the decal your referring to. As a matter of fact the only thing it shows on the valve cover is a yellow OK stamp on the left side cover and nothing on the right. He might be a good person to contact if you can get a hold of him.
Does anyone have a contact number or email for Bob Perkins?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
You must have missed my post, the paper tag goes on the head below the valve cover on the right side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts