Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a long, exhaustive, and very thorough restoration by Tom at KTL, my 70 SCJ Eliminator is almost done. This car has its "born with" numbers matching driveline, Comp. blue with blue interior and 3.91 rear.

We plan on selling this car at auction, BJ being the obvious first choice given its track record for prices. Before anyone gives me s__t about this, know that I have bought and owned many more Cougars than I have sold. Heck, the car has been at KTL for five years, and I haven't seen it except in pictures for that long.

My questions for the collective brain of this forum are:

1. Would you put this car on the show circuit before auction for exposure, and if so which shows?

2. Would you consider other auctions besides BJ and if so, why?

3. I have my own ideas and know what we have in the car, but what do you think the car will bring in #1 condition? BJ has never auctioned a 70 SCJ Eliminator that I am aware of.

Share your thoughts, good and bad. I won't be offended and there is a huge volume of collected knowledge here that I would like to hear from.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Getting exposure is a good idea. Best if it can be featured in a magazine such as Hemmings Muscle Cars or similar.

Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale? The Scottsdale location is what I would suggest. Kind of a late start for January 2012 auction.
I have a good friend that is a personal friend of Drew Alcaraz (think Russo-Steele). Several years ago Drew agreed to auction my friends 1969 GT500 convertible. Drew's advice was to allow the marketing of the car for a year prior to the action. Believe it or not, the cars expected to go for high dollars are marketed for many months prior to the sales. Marketed through publications and directly to museums, specific collectors, and groups that specialize in finding special cars for clients.

4 speed with ram air? does it have any other options such as power windows, console, sunroof, AM/FM, flow thru ventilation, decor interior, etc.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto with Ram air, AM radio, console, decor interior. 1 of 5 70 SCJ automatics with 3.91 axle. So perhaps market for a year and shoot for Jan '13 BJ in Scottsdale?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Joe, You are braver than me if you take it to the BJ auction in Scottsdale. Too many world factors can influence the market and with it being a no reserve auction you run the risk of not getting what you need for the car. My 70 CJ Eliminator is also for sale. It is very similar to yours and also in #1 condition. I have not listed it in any public market, only word of mouth at this point. I was hoping to have it displayed at a couple major car shows this past summer but weather prevented it. Where ever you end up selling it I hope it goes for big dollars. I'm sure you are into yours at least as much as mine!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I thought Barret-Jackson changed there no reserve rule. I thought they allow it now with their discretion.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
..........Before anyone gives me s__t about this, know that I have bought and owned many more Cougars than I have sold. Heck, the car has been at KTL for five years, and I haven't seen it except in pictures for that long..................
Not "giving you s__t", but why get rid of the car after waiting 5 years while it was at KTL and then not get to enjoy it at all? I'd think you went through all that because it's a keeper.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I would take a look at what Brian Aust did and then copy it step by step. He nailed it first time out, and he didn't have to drag the car around the country to shows first. In general, in the age of the internet, promoting a car by taking it shows seems out dated and inefficient.

I think the Russo and Steele example makes sense for Russo and Steele, you have to do the marketing to get the bidders to show up. At B/J the bidders will be there regardless.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill: that makes sense, and in thinking about it more, when one factors in the cost, time , and potential risk for damage in dragging the car around the country, maybe a straight shot to auction is more efficient. Larry, the only way I'm really going to enjoy that car is to stomp the heck out of it and melt the tires off the rims, and with a #1 car that is going to be hard to do. My 69 hardtop has the same setup, and its a #2, so I feel a little better about doing it to that car, especially because it was a pure stock dragger.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I would take a look at what Brian Aust did and then copy it step by step. He nailed it first time out, and he didn't have to drag the car around the country to shows first. In general, in the age of the internet, promoting a car by taking it shows seems out dated and inefficient.

I think the Russo and Steele example makes sense for Russo and Steele, you have to do the marketing to get the bidders to show up. At B/J the bidders will be there regardless.
IMHO Bill you nailed it...

·
Registered
107 Posts

Also to help Brian's car out was his car was in BJ's adds in Hemmings a couple of months before the auction. They used his car as an attraction for their advertising spread. I know the buyer was there for that one car only and he was determined to buy it. The add's and exposure will definately help.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts