Mercury Cougar Owners banner

621 - 640 of 679 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Some of the things you note are why our cars are never done. We always find things we are not as happy with as we want. I enjoyed reading your build story and look forward to your updates as time and what ever permits. Will you be bringing your car up to the Dearborn nationals? I'd love to see it in person.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
#2: Do you have good sized sway bars front and rear? If body roll is the complaint, I would go to those parts before putting unibody support additions on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
With regard to your dislike of seat belt. If you haven't finished your interior yet you may try this. I hid the re-tractor behind the sail panel and will have a guide on the seat. This will eliminate the belt running up and back from the floor to the roof multiple times. My seats are relocated 2" back so between that and the guide on the seat I'm hoping the belt won't be too uncomfortable.

Sail panel.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
Some of the things you note are why our cars are never done. We always find things we are not as happy with as we want. I enjoyed reading your build story and look forward to your updates as time and what ever permits. Will you be bringing your car up to the Dearborn nationals? I'd love to see it in person.
I unfortunately will not be able to make it, Wife and I are on baby watch and I'd hate to miss the birth of my son for a car meet, but I really
want to go!
#2: Do you have good sized sway bars front and rear? If body roll is the complaint, I would go to those parts before putting unibody support additions on.
Yes front is on and rear needs put on as my exhaust is currently in the way for it. thinking I need to support the top of the fenders where I cut out the shock towers

With regard to your dislike of seat belt. If you haven't finished your interior yet you may try this. I hid the re-tractor behind the sail panel and will have a guide on the seat. This will eliminate the belt running up and back from the floor to the roof multiple times. My seats are relocated 2" back so between that and the guide on the seat I'm hoping the belt won't be too uncomfortable.

I like that, and I have not put the headliner in yet, so that may be the best option yet!

View attachment 95802

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Also anyone who does want to check out the car who is driving through cincinnati please send me a pm and id be happy to meet up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #626
sheared off my throttle position sensor yesterday while doing some spirited driving, the entire inside was basically rounded out. this caused the cams to not engage the throttle blade cam, was an interesting 15 minute drive limping it back home. This caused the ECU to freak out a bit only ever showing 1-2% throttle when I was more like 20-30.

Holley is sending me another one, but that was kinda wild, made me miss my cruise in I was going to.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well poop....... what made them snap off? To much travel or tension perhaps? At least you weren't 100% stranded! Saves the cost and time for tow.....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
Well poop....... what made them snap off? To much travel or tension perhaps? At least you weren't 100% stranded! Saves the cost and time for tow.....
almost cost me a motor! had an afr of 8.5 at one point for a bit.

not exactly sure what happened, both holley and I are perplexed, they said they have not see something like this before. I am thinking it was probably a bad casting or debris in it. They are sending me a new one so no big deal.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
How much did you have to pay him? :1poke:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
How much did you have to pay him? :1poke:
funny as he is probably going to be paying me for some parts... :finger:

and for an update i think i will be switching to manual brakes and getting some big boy brakes such as the wilwood front kit for the car. these 11" rotors just are not cutting it with the tiny amount of vacuum i have. I have considered adding a vac pump, but dont want the sound to deal with.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
Electric fans decided to stop working on my way home this morning from cars and coffee, lucky i was only 1 mile away when the temp went above 220.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
well here is the problem,

hmmm strange that the directions for the fans say hook up to the battery or alternator, I had these hooked straight to the alternator. Waiting on the manufacturer to contact me on monday to explain what might of happened.

Question to all, would it matter if it was hooked straight to the positive terminal on the battery of straight to the alt? should be the same voltage right, since the alt feeds the battery.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Crappy parts! Even when you spend the better money, it seems to be more the exception, than the rule that you get what you pay for..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The problem with running off the alt output is that you have no control of voltage as the engine is running..... on the battery side, the regulator is maintaining voltage. The fact that the fuse melted is a bit concerning too..... it should blow if it was above it's rating. Since it did not, I think your connection type (spade) is not able to carry the amp's. I would look at hard wiring or a bigger spade to carry the amps...... you should try measuring what it's really pulling and see that you have beefy enough wires and connectors for the load. Keep in mind every splice/connection is also going to make a difference......

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
The problem with running off the alt output is that you have no control of voltage as the engine is running..... on the battery side, the regulator is maintaining voltage. The fact that the fuse melted is a bit concerning too..... it should blow if it was above it's rating. Since it did not, I think your connection type (spade) is not able to carry the amp's. I would look at hard wiring or a bigger spade to carry the amps...... you should try measuring what it's really pulling and see that you have beefy enough wires and connectors for the load. Keep in mind every splice/connection is also going to make a difference......
i think the power cord was not secured over the little tab that it goes over and came lose.

621 - 640 of 679 Posts