Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 679 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

Ok here is the progress, friday i started taking off the front suspension, then i finished it up today. I also started to cut out the shock towers, but stopped because my biddy said i could use his plasma cutter and not destroy a 100 cut off's. I dont think the shop did much work on the car this week because i didnt notice anything. however that is ok as it allowed me to do what i needed to do!

Thats it for now

EDIT: if anyone needs Stock Front Suspension parts please let me know i can part some of it out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
rebuild my block or crate motor

rebuild would be a 408w.

Crate would be a 351w.

i need pros vs cons of who has done what!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
this weeks update!

yes i see the crease in the fender, this is first primer and it will be taken care of.

thats it for now, anyone on the crate/rebuild?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
spoke to the body shop, no progress has been made in 2 weeks they are slammed with insurance work. This was part of our agreement in the beginning so no big deal. more updates to come soon.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
woke up today and called the body shop and asked them if i could come work on the suspension. i managed to cut the shock towers out and then take off the brackets that are going to be in the way for the new cross member.

before:

one side out

side 2 out and grinder

mock up

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really want to do the same type setup on my 67 like on the suspension just a large chunk of $$$$ has to come my way to do so lol. Really cool project

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
thanks guys, i figure why not do the car how I want. Its only money after all! i will post an update later this week as im not traveling anywhere this week!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
hey all, what a past few weeks! Life really threw me a curve ball.

anyways i just went to the shop and saw some updates, they have been working on another car there a 68 GTO (they are paining it basically the same color i am going with).

here are a few small pictures

that is it for now, but they said the GTO is about done and they are going to really tackle the cougar in the next few weeks

oh yeah i guess i need a rear deck lid, pm me if anyone has something!

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
All well the shop is back on my car, they need more $ so i know progress has been made! Anyways they have been working on the front end, I didnt visit the shop this week as i am out of town, but they emailed me some pictures.

pretty framerail!

they are mocking up the front cross member

they are nervous to tack it in unless i am there to make sure they dont screw up, (i dont weld), so until i can get down there i think they are going to move onto another part of the car.

Still looking for a 69/70 rear deck lid, mine isn't in the best condition and they would like to get a better one for the car before spending a ton of time on the current one.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The hood is coming along great, looks like there are 2 small dimples they are going to have to take care of, but they are doing it!

Left side door first primer on it, all rust cut and fixed.

Progress for this week includes, welding the front cross member finally, and then they said they are going to start on the rear deck lid.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Looks good! Just wondering, what sort of money are we talking about for a shop to do all this work?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Looks good! Just wondering, what sort of money are we talking about for a shop to do all this work?
the shop and I have a firm price agreement of ~12k, i think for the quality of the work they are doing that is a very great value. When i first got the car i had a lot of bids on it, ranging from $7500 - $25k. That being said i first wanted to go with the $7500 shop to get it up and running, but im so glad i didnt. After a few failures of communication with that shop it gave me a giant red flag! When I talked with Al (current body guy) we talked for ~1:30, he told me his life story, showed me pictures, explained how he works, explained his insurance, what kind of time frame to expect, and exactly what he would do.

12k for body work/paint might seem high, but i am happy with the quality so far.

thoughts?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
the shop and I have a firm price agreement of ~12k, i think for the quality of the work they are doing that is a very great value. When i first got the car i had a lot of bids on it, ranging from $7500 - $25k. That being said i first wanted to go with the $7500 shop to get it up and running, but im so glad i didnt. After a few failures of communication with that shop it gave me a giant red flag! When I talked with Al (current body guy) we talked for ~1:30, he told me his life story, showed me pictures, explained how he works, explained his insurance, what kind of time frame to expect, and exactly what he would do.

12k for body work/paint might seem high, but i am happy with the quality so far.

thoughts?
I paid $5K for paint alone (from stripped, self-etching primer and all metal repairs done with good first plastic over any metal seams). So for a finished body and major suspension mods too, I'd say you are doing well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I paid $5K for paint alone (from stripped, self-etching primer and all metal repairs done with good first plastic over any metal seams). So for a finished body and major suspension mods too, I'd say you are doing well.
im doing the suspension he is just welding in it. Id weld it if someone taught me how.

41 - 60 of 679 Posts