Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new rear window gasket sits flush at the bottom, but on the top it sits too high to seat the trim...I have tried several gaskets from different places and they all do the same thing.

I remember seeing someone solving this years back but I can't find it now.

It seems like its seated against the pinch weld...anyone??

·
Registered
149 Posts
saw a thread last month someone said that the had the gasket fipped upside down or backwards, let me see if i can find it

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
KTL Restorations has the best tricks I have seen. Ordering from other vendors will not work as they are all coming from Daniel Carpenter. Somebody who has literary skills should do a phone interview with Tom and then post it here. John Benoit is another who has the go around perfected!

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you guys will tell me exactly what you need to know, I will call and talk to Tom ( he is a friend of mine) what it is that he does to cure your problems. I just installed the back glass and new rubber on my 70 , and have not incurred any problems.
Let me know.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the gasket goes in, but on the top the gasket is physically higher than the metal hence you can't install your trim as it won't push down...

I have tried several times with several gaskets always same result..its in correctly and i followed the rope method and it seems to be all the way in...I can post pics this weekend.

·
Registered
726 Posts
KTL Restorations has the best tricks I have seen. Ordering from other vendors will not work as they are all coming from Daniel Carpenter. Somebody who has literary skills should do a phone interview with Tom and then post it here. John Benoit is another who has the go around perfected!
Here's the response I got from John Benoit ...
"Was the seal manufactured by Daniel Carpenter? That is the one I use and sell. My trick is I put the seal on the body of the car first and then work the glass in. It is a pain in the a%# but it works. "

and ....

"The clips I use are #387. Ford part number- D1AB-6545413-AB or C5ZZ-6542413-B. I have never had a problem with them."
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I'm happy someone else is having this problem as well. We just pulled the rear window out of the 70 XR7 again as we can't get the trim to sit down. There is a lip on the seal that doesn't want to compress under the trim and keeps flipping it off the clips. We were about to take to the seal with a dremel and smooth off the lip

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you guys will tell me exactly what you need to know, I will call and talk to Tom ( he is a friend of mine) what it is that he does to cure your problems. I just installed the back glass and new rubber on my 70 , and have not incurred any problems.
Let me know.
I talked to Kurt today(he is Tom's son, KTL Restorations) he installs the glass, he said the cure would be to use the longer trim clips(black ones). The clips Ford used were red oxide and the replacement clips are green. The black clips extend up about 3/32 of an inch further, this should be enough to grab the trim, he also said that all of the clip post were not in the same location as far as some being higher or lower which would put the clip closer to the pinch-weld or near the body line. Sometimes he has to use a combination of clips to complete the job. You have to be careful not to get the clips too high or the trim will be loose. This is all I have

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
So basically the gasket that is available is defective??
Defective may be a bit strong but it most certainly isn't an exact reproduction. It will work but it's not easy to get the glass in and it's even more difficult to fit the trim afterward.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had no problems with my rear window install.it is a Daniel Carpenter gasket.the only problem my installer had was on the passenger side lower corner the clip would almost grab but then let go.told me to come back in 1/2 hr after he had a calming smoke and it was done.

Terry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts