Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am new here, I'm picking up a used 70 cougar steering column I need the upper column part The collar that tilts is cracked if Anyone has one please let me know.. also will a 70 Mustang tilt steering column work in a 70 Mercury cougar base model? Thanks!..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

this should help you out

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Copycat,
Welcome to Cougars! Saw your post and need to tell you that what you need, is available used, occasionally NOS, but interchanges with early 1971 tilts, and it IS a tilt only part. It is not actually the top piece, but the second part down the sequence. Did you get a key/ignition tumbler in your tilt? Having that out already or a key to help remove it is a good way to start......

Likely you have other problems which caused this sort of a break in that casting....could even be worse.......

I rebuild these columns and can help you out, but it's not going to be inexpensive to do, as you need to take the entire column apart to do this job! BUT, this is one of the most rare options for 1970 Cougars and Mustangs to have!

If you PM me via "conversations" I can give you more info.

Cheers!
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copycat,
Welcome to Cougars! Saw your post and need to tell you that what you need, is available used, occasionally NOS, but interchanges with early 1971 tilts, and it IS a tilt only part. It is not actually the top piece, but the second part down the sequence. Did you get a key/ignition tumbler in your tilt? Having that out already or a key to help remove it is a good way to start......

Likely you have other problems which caused this sort of a break in that casting....could even be worse.......

I rebuild these columns and can help you out, but it's not going to be inexpensive to do, as you need to take the entire column apart to do this job! BUT, this is one of the most rare options for 1970 Cougars and Mustangs to have!

If you PM me via "conversations" I can give you more info.

Cheers!
Steve
Hi steve, I'm the guy shawn that emailed you today with my phone number if you have a minute to talk because I'm looking to get it rebuilt
Thanks shawn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts