Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know my key is 'stuck' in the s/wheel column and my ignition switch is now where the lighter used to be. Today my coil packed up for no apparent reason, looooong story as to how we got to the coil being a problem, including battery exploding and acid in S's eyes, but back to the ignition.
The key in the steering wheel column can turn in two positions, horizontal and vertical, its normal position seems to be horizontal. The key in the ignition/lighter has 3 position, backwards, off and start. If I switch off and turn the key back too much its in what would be the 'on' position, lights on dash etc, so I have to make sure I always have it in the middle position, from that position I just turn the key to the right and she starts, which is dangerous, specially with kids in the car, I know I should never leave the key in the ignition but not everyone is perfect. If I were to accidentally leave the key in the 'on' position, what harm could I do, to anything, and if I moved the steering column key to the vertical position by accident, would that affect anything.....?
What I would really like to do is to replace the steering column ignition switch, like it should be, and have my lighter being a lighter again. Would a 66 fairlane ign. switch be the same? And what wiring would be involved, and how do I make sure I don't lock the steering, permanently.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts