Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 Mustang has a two wire sending unit and my 70 Cougar has a three wire unit. Does the Cougar have a low fuel indicator, is that the reason for the three wire? Also, is a three wire sending unit available? TIA

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Is your Cougar an XR-7 or have the convenience control package (not sure what that consists of)? The three prong fuel sending unit was used on those. John

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is an XR7. I don't know if my old sending unit is any good or not, are new ones available?
?=68PUMA;445175]Is your Cougar an XR-7 or have the convenience control package (not sure what that consists of)? The three prong fuel sending unit was used on those. John[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine was in extremely bad shape and JCC was able to rebuild it for me.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Three prong is a correct term, but 3-wire is not. The third prong is a phenolic/plastic indexing pin for the connector. Surprised to hear a Mustang has a 2-wire sender although I did hear of a Mustang with a LF option recently, so they are out there.

BTW, I am the designer/manufacturer of the Electronic Low Fuel Indicator (ELFI) solutions. I generally like to see/suggest that people go that route if they want a working LF function, but then I am a little biased! $110 shipped from me for either the 67/68 version or the 69-73 version.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts