Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
question.Did all 70 eliminators come w/ a 8k rpm tach? Or was it just the 428cj cars and boss 302 cars?Iwas wondering cause my 70 eliminator only has a 6k rpm one and it is a 351c car.So if i need a 8k rpm tach i will be aware if i see one at the turkey rod run in daytona fl this thanksgiving holiday weekend.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)
1970 xr7 convertible parts car only will update when it is in my possesion.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
DTC70

First let me say COOOOOOOOL! on the Eliminator thing. I have one also. (My wife's)
From what I've learned in the last six months, the only 8,000 RPM tach's came with the Boss 302's, all the rest had the 6K tach's...
Do you have the pics posted of the Eliminator? I don t know which cat is yours?:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:
Shane

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Droptop if you read the article in TCCN it is on a 302 that was tested by a car magazine in 69 and it was a 302 with a 6000 tach. I know no help what so ever. but i do think that it was the 302 only if you revved a 428 that high things would be going through the hood. So lil wrink is correct.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Well guys, as I understand it the Boss 302s and SCJ got the 8K tach. the 351 4V and 428CJ got the 6K unit. Now the funny thing is my 351W 2V 70 XR7 has one. I can't tell you if it came that way or was added at a later date. I am willing to bet on it having been added.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Boss 302!

Boss 302 only, according to all I have been told. so If you have one (8000) cool, If its an original, cool+expensive to the right buyer...:xoli: :sun: :pimp:
Shane

Maybe Royce will verify this info?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The Boss Cat's got the 8k tack, the 428 cars were all supposed to get the 8k tack. Now this is where it get interesting. As some of you may have/seen a 8k tach in other cats. So far as I can figure, late production 70 XR-7 could have come factory w/ a 8k tack. So far no details from a build sheet to prove this. The mystery continues! I posted a pic' of my Boss Cat, which is currently under going a full front end restoration.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another oddball eliminator question

Hi again
ok. heres 1 more oddball question.Does anyone know why they put 3 speed manuals in some of the 351c eliminators?Iam suprised that they didnt either stick with all 4 speeds or automatics.My 70 eliminator came factory w/ a 3 speed manual and it was really odd to hear that they came w/ 3 speed manuals.Can anyone shed a little light on this subject?
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)
1970 xr7 convertible COMPLETLY rusted out will notify when it has been purchased

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Cost saving? Less shifting?

In 1967 my brother-in-law ordered a new GTO. To save a few bucks he ordered the post sedan, bench seat with flip-up arm rest (that was in the days when your Honey sat next to you and you cruised around town ;-), and a three speed manual (so he wasn't shifting all the time). He got the upgraded 400 but without Ram Air. I think he did get P/S and P/B and the Ralley wheels and red line tires.

It was a really pretty dark Turquoise Metallic with a black interior. It had more chrome trim than the hardtop and being a post sedan was more solid. Sadly it got rear ended sitting in front of their house and was pushed into the car in front also ;-(
It was never right after that and they sold it.

Tim Brandsoy
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
8000 tach BOSS only

All the info that I "swear" by, comes to me by three sources.
1. Kevin Marti-any literature that he publishes. If you E-mail him a technical question, he will reply; or at least he has in the past.
Kevin seems to be a really nice guy, and a hardcore Fordaholic.
2. Royce Peterson- I dont know where Royce has gatherd his accumlative knowledge from, but he seems to have the answer for every Cougar related trivia question in the game. Thanks Royce...
3. Frank Bowers- Another guy who is very knowledgable about the Mercury Cougar, Especially Eliminators...
After I bought my Eliminator, I had a discussion with Royce about what exactly makes an Eliminator an Eliminator. I was very surprised with what I was told, but anyway, thru the course of that conversation I learned that the only Eliminator that was offered with an 8000 RPM tach, was the BOSS 302's. The CJ's and SCJ's were not. If I remember correctly, they are quite expensive to purchase, If you can find one, they are highly sought after.
If you have an original, weather it came on your cat or not, you have an extremly nice item there.
If someone added it to the car? Have you ordered a Marti Report to make sure your cat was'nt a BOSS originally? Over the years some strange things have happened...:D
The answer to the three speed question I'm sure is simple economics vs. profit margin
Shane:D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Shane and all. I mostly agree, with the exception of the non-Boss &/or Eliminator cats. I have seen XR-7's w/ the 8k tach and know at least one of the cars was original w/ the tach. This is going to be one of those "Ford things" that happens for no known reason. How many have seen a 200 MPH factory speedometer? Now that's a rare part!!

The urban myth continues!!

P.S. On the 3 speed trans question. The basic Cougar was a 3 speed manual w/ a 351-2V. The Eliminator was a 4 bbl std, but the trans was standard w/ the auto or 4 speed as a option costing more $$, same for disc brakes. Option on all Std Cougars,( the Eliminator is a Std Cougar ordered w/ the Eliminator package)

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
8000 TACH

I have to agree with Bill. The 8000 tach was standard equip. with a Boss 302 Eliminator. But if you wanted one, you could get anything you wanted. John Baumans son has a 1970 351 car with a factory 8000 tach. I have a 1970 428 SCJ car with power windows, power trunk release and some othe things that are unusual to a drag pak car. The car also has wheel lip moulding and front and rear bumber guards that came on it from the factory. Everything is documented. NEVER say ALWAYS or NEVER.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The other option is the spare parts bin - I've had a number of parts replaced "under warranty" before delivery and had them replaced with more up-market bits from other models.

If you know the right people you can get your parts mixed and matched at the factory even today. One of my previous company cars had a mix of body and interior pieces from other models in the range that were installed at the factory. It has become so popular in Oz that there is a separate section in final assembly for custom orders

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hiya people,
heres another question i need to have answered.Does anyone know if the eliminators had the rear courtsey lights in them? The ones that the rear sail panels are in the middle of? Because my eliminator doesnt have any holes to where they were.And was wondering if the eliminators came factory w/ the courtsey lights.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
488 Posts
two different 8K tachs

okay guys, since this has jumped back to the top i thought i might make some observations. first off there are two totally different types of 8K tachs. the replacement parts were probably all the same (don't have my MPC here to check sorry) but when they went down the line there were a C9WB-B and C9WB-B2. every Boss 302 i have seen that is original had the -B2 tach. the faces are calibrated differently with the -B2 having fewer increments below 1K. every -B i have seen was in a stick shift 351 car and they have an evenly graduated face. i have had a number of small block eliminators in the past 20 years and all the 69's i bought had 8K tachs. this may be fluke but it is my experience. hawkrod

·
Registered
698 Posts
Eliminator options

I have an original 428 SCJ ram-air 4-speed Eliminator. It has the interior decor which includes the lights and rear arm rests. It also has the exterior decor which includes the front and rear bumper guards and wheel well mouldings. Which most people think was not available on Eliminators. It also has power windows, power trunk release and rear window defogger. It is all documented with the original dealer hand written sales order. So I guess you could have gotten just about anything you wanted if you knew how to order it. The guy I got my car from was a mechanic at the dealership he ordered it through.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts