Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Your 1st post? Welcome to the club.I dont have a eliminator but an XR-7 Im having a hard time finding one.Are the eliminators any different?Get your wallet out:cry: Thats a very pricey item:cry: Good luck in finding one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan
Thank You. The Eliminator gas door has a Cougar on it like on the nose of a 70. I am not holding my breath on finding one soon but you never know.
Regards,
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Make one, I did, Someone stole mine along time ago, and I decided to make my own. Got the cougar from a spare 70 grille, and made my own. Easy actually, just need abit of talent.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
good luck like rick said make one or wait to pay 300 plus on ebay. Ray theres an idea for something to manufacture how many of those could you sell do you think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone have a close up picture of one? I probably could make one but I really need to see how they look before I see what else I need. I know a regular gas door and a extra cougar from the 70 nose but what about the backround?? is it just semi-gloss black??

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I've only got a mustang petrol cap on the back of my std 70, :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick,
Great,thanks. I will try to gather the parts and make 1 as thats the only part left that I really need. I have the car in the body shop now. When its done I will send you a picture of it.
Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick,
I have a 69 Cougar parts car I will take the gas door off of. I can play with that one till I get it right. I think the only piece I am missing is the chrome cougar on the 70 Nose.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the cougar on the 69 headlight cover is closer to the proper size, if you have that still, your all set :)

Rick

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Greg'
I was considering making the upper and lower gas door trims in plastic. I have lots of 69/70 gas doors done but no 70ECat ones which I would make using parts from grilles. The upper and lower trims on 70 Ecats are semigloss/satin blk as well as the ribbed backing. Ray

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
how about casting in a resin from the e cat and then there is a porduct out ther that is used for models, my dad told me about it but dang if i can remember what it is but when applied is a chrome really slick. might be an idea i know i would buy one or two or three or.... how many cats do i have?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
bill
can you send me better pictures and some descriptions as to what you did. thanks. i have two cats i want to do this on. how much were the cats?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The car is in storage right now, as I work on the Convert & Boss (2 car garage) I can tell you a bit of info. The "Cat" was around $20. They are avail facing R & L. I removed the ribbed backing and the crest by working on the pins peaned over in back. Once apart, I sent all the bright work off to a plastic coating shop. The base is now all black, and all I did was install a new Cat, and assemble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts