Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
DEAR GOD!!! My eyes! The goggles they do nothing!!!!

ECI syndrome at its best

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Vin=0f91g509579

Hopefully whomever buys the VIN from this pile of iron oxide fully discloses the rebody when the car next comes up for sale. Although the seller doesn't list the VIN, it is mentioned to be 9,579th vehicle. Future buyers of Boss eliminators be aware if that sort of thing matters to you.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hopefully whomever buys the VIN from this pile of iron oxide fully discloses the rebody when the car next comes up for sale. Although the seller doesn't list the VIN, it is mentioned to be 9,579th vehicle. Future buyers of Boss eliminators be aware if that sort of thing matters to you.
I added it to the registry last night.

·
Registered
599 Posts
oh good grief.....it can be brought back without a re-body,,or at least a complete one...ive got a 70 decore hardtop now thats begging to be cut up for a car like this...hmmm but at $7500 with no motor...youd have a ton in it in just parts...id go $5000 in a minute add the rust free parts car i got for$1200 and all youd need is labor (which i happen to have,,lol) might watch it and see what happens

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Maine is a no title state after fifteen years... Is that true WTFO

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Maine is a no title state after fifteen years... Is that true WTFO
So is New Hampshire. A few years ago they changed the law and made titles optional for older vehicles, before that you could not get one even if you asked.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
"This vehicle MUST be trailered as it has no rear end, and the frame is too rusty to bolt one in securely."

Yikes!!!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
You See?

You WCW's see what us ECI's have to contend with around here? I've seen several cars this bad saved before, but you wouldn't believe the effort involved.

None of this west coast "scuff it-paint it-show it" stuff! :)

The conditions here are just brutal on cars - 2 or 3 seasons of outdoor storage can completely ruin an otherwise decent car.

In the days before eBay and the internet made finding solid west coast cars efficient and practical, this is the kind of junk we had to restore.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
oh good grief.....it can be brought back without a re-body,,or at least a complete one...ive got a 70 decore hardtop now thats begging to be cut up for a car like this...hmmm but at $7500 with no motor...youd have a ton in it in just parts...id go $5000 in a minute add the rust free parts car i got for$1200 and all youd need is labor (which i happen to have,,lol) might watch it and see what happens

Jack....Off the top of your head how much for you to restore that car? Assuming you could find and engine...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just want to make one thing clear. I fully vouch for the seller of this car. Emery Pratt is a nationally respected restoration expert. His work has been featured in magazines and he is backlogged with high-end restorations for at least 10 years. Emery is not into the re-body thing and if this car is ever rebodied it will have nothing to do with him. He has all the materials and know-how to have already done this if it were in his nature. I'm not saying anyone here has accused him of anything wrong, but I don't want any comments misconstrued, either. Jack Hall is right. This car can be restored without a re-body. It is simply a question of money and time. It is a matter of opinion as to whether it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Jeff I don't think anyone was suggesting anything sinister about the seller. I think he is absolutely honest and straightforward about the car. It's already been said that anything is possible and I'm sure this car is resotrable without a "re-body". Base don his description that there isnt enough of a rear end or frame left to even attach a rearend to though I think it's pretty clear there is a lot of work involved.

Anyone who was wondering about the vlaue of a VIN though might want to recheck the auction again. as of this afternoon it was just under 4 grand :bloated:.

This kinda car needs a full on resto that going to take deep pockets but when it's done you cant argue with it. It'll be a sweetie.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have met Emery in the past as well and he is a very honest guy. I spoke with him today about the car, and explained my other cougars that i was contemplating putting together. Some people say rebody but until it has been varified such has been done you potentially ruin someones potential investment / and Emery's auction, by saying such. The thing the most of the rest of the country does not understand people in the Norhteast have a lot of winter time on their hands and would step up to the challenge of fixing this with few or no questions. Anybody can cut a vin but it takes a craftsmen and a die hard to tackle and save cars like this. So we should be a little more careful about dropping the guilateon on cars or the respective people that own them..

FRED ASHMORE

1 - 20 of 143 Posts