Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 70 cougar i am starting to restore. it had the brake master cyl and possibly booster robbed when i got it. it has drums all around and i pulled the booster master and spindles off a 69 eliminator that was totally trashed but had a few good parts. i have searched this forum and came to the conclusion i will have to change pedals as well if my 70 wasnt power brakes. was wandering how i can tell if my 70 model had power drums or manual drums since everything was missing i am not sure. her is the vin# 0f91h539042. the sticker on the door is long gone unfortunately.
thanks
paul

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
First look for the body buck tag. It should be on the core support above the passengers side head light. Look for PB stamped in to it. Then look at the pedal. I think the pin that the rod to the booster mounts on is at a lower point. Manual brake pedal that will be near the top. If you do need to change pedals the power brake peddle mounts much higher on the hanger.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It would not be power drum, that option ended in 1967 (I think).

1969 and 1970 disc brake pedals are different, and have to match the booster push rod. No mixing pedals and push rods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cougarcj,
so if i get a disc brake pedal from a 69 or 70 will that work or do the pedals mount differently. i had to drill out the nut inserts in the firewall to get the studs from the booster to fit. so you are right i have manual drum originally. the booster will mount but it is like the push rod is an inch or two too short to mount on my pedal. i see that wccc and mustangs unlimited have brake pedals for power brakes but i dont know if i need the pedal mount bracket too. thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts