Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to connect the hose to the vacuum manifold on the firewall. My after market Edlebrock Performer 1405 carb has two vacuum ports on the front, one ported and one full time. Edelbrock says the lower one is for the trannie. I can't remember if my old Autolite two barrel had vacuum ports on front or not, but would it be better to connect the trannie directly to the Edelbrock? The connection has been per the manual, to the vacuum manifold. Works pretty good, but occasionally get some not-so-smooth downshifts into low coming to a stop, but i always attributed that to low vacuum in the engine due to some valve issues (only about 12 inches at idle). appreciate your thoughts-

billy

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Why not just use the distribution block on the firewall/bulkhead?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just use the distribution block on the firewall/bulkhead?
i thought i said that? anyway, that is how it is. i was just wondering whether it would be better to use the carb port, since back in the day, the 2 barrel autolite probably did not have that option. probably doesn't matter. vacuum is vacuum. but Edelbrock put this port on the carb specifically for the trannie. so maybe you would get better shifting? just curious..........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts