Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting my 1970 Cougar XR7 back together, and have a few question on my dash wiring.

Mounted next to the Emergency Warning Flasher on an L-shaped bracket, that is attached to the lower dash, is a Circuit Breaker Assembly with 2 posts coming out of it.

1. What is this Circuit Breaker Assembly for?
2. A Green-Red Striped Wire, and a Black-Yellow Striped Wire go to this assembly. Does it make a difference which post each of these is attached to?

Regards,
Mike
20201005_111833.jpg
20201005_111847 (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Check your wiring diagrams!!! You should have them if you took your car all apart.........just for this purpose!? :)
I wanna say brake lites.........the Green/Red dings some bells there, but I cannot get to my diagrams at the moment either! (Check the color going to your brake lamp switch on the pedal...)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the wiring diagram. That is how I know the two leads go to the Circuit Breaker Assembly. My 2 questions deal with which wire goes to which post of the CB, and what the CB is actually for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. What is this Circuit Breaker Assembly for?
2. A Green-Red Striped Wire, and a Black-Yellow Striped Wire go to this assembly. Does it make a difference which post each of these is attached to?
This 15A circuit breaker is used to supply the brake lights and the emergency flashers.
The black/yellow is the main feed and the green/red feeds the brake light switch and turn signal flasher.
Circuit breakers are not polarity sensitive - it doesn't matter which post is used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts