Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had the valve rebuilt. reinstalled the valve and everything looks okay, but the steering is really tight now, almost like the power steering pump isn't working much at idle. there obviously was a lot of play in the valve and i drove it that way for years and got used to it. but this seems excessively tight.

any ideas? thanks-

billy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If your sure you have the hoses hooked back up right, it could be that your pump is on the tired side too....I think if you do a search for power steering issues you will find a few who went through similar issues. I take it you haven't adjusted the box at all since the CV rebuild?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your sure you have the hoses hooked back up right, it could be that your pump is on the tired side too....I think if you do a search for power steering issues you will find a few who went through similar issues. I take it you haven't adjusted the box at all since the CV rebuild?
i have not adjusted the steering box yet. it was done months ago before the CV rebuild and tightened up the slop some. maybe it needs to be adjusted again. how is that done? are the procedures in the shop manual somewhere? thanks-

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If the hoses were hooked up incorrectly, excessive steering effort would not be the problem.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
backing off the adjustment screw on the gear box helped a lot. but i still think there should be more "power". if the system is correct, should the steering wheel return to center on its own coming out of a turn? just curious if rebuilding the power steering pump will noticeably improve performance?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The spool inside the control valve may be sticking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts