Mercury Cougar Owners banner

70 Convt Cat

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  70fastcat 
#1 ·
Here are some pic of my wifes '70 Cougar when I gave it to here several years ago.

We long story short this past summer it had an engine fire while she was driving it
home from work.:angryfi:

The wife did a good job of getting it put out and did minimal damage considering
how bad it could have been.

So now I'm working on get the motor rebuilt and the paint repaired.

More pic's and info to come as it progress

See less See more
#3 ·
be sure to grind down to fresh metal and prime it right away with a good acid etch primer....otherwise you will be batteling rust there forever. Good luck on the resto!

#5 ·
The first thing I did was to look at the engine pic to see what fuel line you had... Couldn't tell from the pic...

I had a car that had an engine fire, too - and not while I was driving it either! The short 2" rubber hose that connected the metal hard line from the pump to the carb sprung a leak and squirted directly onto the distributor...

Anyway, that's why I will NEVER AGAIN have ANY rubber hose - even stainless braided hose - on the pressure side of the fuel pump. Everything is hard-plumbed.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advise guys

I belive the duraspark box went bad and caused the coil to over heat. The duraspark box was over near the master cylinder
and the back of it was melted ???

I had steel fuel line ran up to the behind the dist were a metal fuel filter was mounted then the line turned and connected to
a steel fuel line on the carb???

I have the hood repaired and while the car was down though I would up grade some other stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.