Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellahs,

I'm lookin at a '70 Cougar with a console, and it appears the "black" is peeling off around the shifter and woodgrain insert piece. Is there a recommended method for restoration?
Pull it, pop the wood grain section, mask it off and spray it? Or just spring for a repro?

I know there are places that do console restoration too. How much do they usually charge for something like that?

Also, I know the Eliminator passenger dash piece is like Unobtanium... so what do people do to "get by" on that, and keep some semblance of camera-case look? Car currently has XR7 woodgrain dash bits installed (both sides), but the owner still has the camera-case gauge pod (I'm not sure what condition though).

Any tips on camera-case dash bits and console repair / resto would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that looks sharp! Did you start with an XR7 dash piece and just peel / strip off the woodgrain stickon? Or did you have an actual camera-case peice to start with?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It was a XR-7 dash panal i have taken the wood gran off and have done it over it. as long as the wood gran is stuck down good not lifting. JOHN

·
Registered
434 Posts
John, you need to provide some details or price to do mine. I need this for my 1969 Eliminator Clone which currently has an XR7 dash. I already have the 8000 rpm tach.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No console resto tips?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts