Mercury Cougar Owners banner

381 - 400 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #381 (Edited)
.650/.650 lift in.256°/ex.264° @.050 duration.

I will be running Austrailian heads as well, but my cam is only .513, 519 lift and 218, 224 duration @ .050 flat tappet
A big difference for sure.
By the way, those that are giving you a hard time, know you have the better car:)
That and people that know nothing about Clevelands, don't know that even the 2V heads have bigger and better flowing runners than any production small block chebby stuff, and probably most aftermarket chebby stuff too.

i like the debris that blew backwards when u revved it...talk about a fun leaf blower hahaha the neighbors woudl be pissed hahaha
Haha, I think the same thing every time I pull down the drive or back into the garage when the driveway has leaves and debris on it. There is always a 2 foot wide clearing down the drive and a pile of crap up againsts the garage wall when I back it in. I guess that is the down side to running turn downs (don't even want to attempt going down a dirt road), but I like the sound better.

Suprisingly, none of my neighbors hate me yet (other than one douche, but it is unrelated to the car), they all just wave and look, some even come outside to look. Then again, I don't go out in it late at night and don't raise hell in the neighborhood, much.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Progress still moving slow, but still work on it some. Work is still busy, so it's ok. I did get a little more steel melted on.

Hard to tell how bad the damage is in the pictures, but it was nothing I wanted to try to hammer out.

You can tell how much twist was on it once it was cut out. At this point it was just the spot welds in the wheel well holding it on.

Looks much better now. The spot in the back side of the repair was my F-up. Some how I cut it about a 1/4 inch big on the back, so had to cut a little more out to put in another patch. I knew that trying to weld a 1/4 inch sliver would end up disasterous, so this was my only option to fix a screw up.

These 2 pictures show the dent better, but still hard to see.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Butt-weld, baby butt-weld! (B-52-like). Go Mikey!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Not yet. The only thing I have done since the last update was finish welding the patch and smoothing the welds. Other than that, it is still up on jack stands.

I have been spending most of my free time working on projects around the house that need attention and having some family time. We just got back from a much needed vacation, and returned with my first lobster toned skin in years. I did get the toy box finished, so that is out of the way. But, I found a hell of a deal on a lathe this morning so no I have yet another tool to take up space in the garage.

I am hopeful that I will get back on the metal work soon, maybe let my sunburn heal a bit before I put a layer of welders burn on top of it. I just hope I don't end up having to pull the engine because of unseated rings.

But thanks for thinking of me, lol. It should keep me on my toes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pretty much your build is more or less the direction I intend mine to go..recently getting divorced and the attempts to find quarters for these cars has been the setbacks in the past year.. Seeing someone make great progress is keeping the dream alive for me..lol!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Mike,

Havent corresponded with you in the past, although I've reviewed your posts on many occasions. Had some free time at work today and scrolled through your pages. I see that you've had a few ups and downs in your build process--reminds me vividly of many of the travails that occurred along the way during my build up (68 XR7 X code). Thoroughly enjoyed your start-up videos... freakin' radical cat man! Sounds like you're now well on your way. Keep on keepin on!

Dennis

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Thanks for all the "love" guys. I don't know how much of an inspiration I can be, with the slow progress and lack of ability to afford many other things I need, but I am honored nevertheless.

If you are working on a budget, the best thing I know to tell you is to buy yourself a parts car. Use the parts you need, and sell the remainder of the parts to fund the project. Most of the money I spent on the car came from selling parts, the rest was from side work. I have spent very little of "normal" income on anything. I am actually pondering buying another parts car to try to get other stuff paid for.

Windsordeath, sorry to hear about the divorce. Hopefully I never have to experience one, but I can imagine it is rough. 1/4's can be the hard part on these cars. Ford destroyed the original dies, and quality reproductions are non-existent. I was luck that I had no rust in my car, especially being on the east coast, and the repairs I had to weld in were luckily in places that didn't tend to rust.

At the times that I was making progress, work was slow. Work has picked up quite a bit lately, so I don't have much free time. What free time I do get usually has to go to stuff around the house. I am hoping this winter will stay busy, but if not then I will be working on the car.

Again, thanks for all the support guys. And if anyone thinks I may be able to help with anything, feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great photos of the patch panel work on the quarters. Needs to be a "sticky" for those who would like to do their own repairs,....."Tack align, don't weld to much in one spot, rotate your welds to prevent warping, ect.......".

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
No real updates. other than tuning. I believe I finally have it tuned just the way she likes it. Plugs are clean and nice colored, no overwelming rich smell, and runs great at all times, even when hot now. I ended up replacing the ignition module and box as I think the module may have been related to some of the ill running issues.

I am itching to get back in the garage and start on the body work, but work has been nuts lately. I even had to work on new years eve, and the last 4 saturdays, which is odd for my line of work.

Just for grins, here is a video I shot with my phone. Horrible sound, but at least it shows how quick she revs.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nice and snappy on the throttle! I have a few more weeks before it warms up enough to spend time out there....cold concrete is hard on my toes. I tore the carb off and am going to go through it since it was acting up a bit before she went in for her winter nap. At least I can do that in the basement - or kitchen table no that I'm single again! ;>) Have you commited to a color yet?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Wow, been a while since I checked in. Not a whole lot of updates, mostly just wheels. I was trying to work a deal on a TKO-600 from a couple of different guys, but they both fell through. I guess I am stuck with the C-4 for the moment. I haven't even driven the car much, still. Has under 700 miles on it.

We bought the wife a G35, so I have been messing with it and trying to get the old car fixed up to sell. My truck has been back at the transmission shop, so I am driving her old car, the Cougar on nice days, until I get it back. I spent almost a month and way too much money on redoing the front yard. Was getting tired of mother nature not providing enough water for the grass, so I put in a sprinkler system. It was one of those projects that about half way though, you just want to pay someone to finish.

I am thinking about taking it apart for the winter to get body work done and get it in primer. Maybe do the 4 wheel Cobra discs and upholstery too.

Here is a short video of the wheels in motion. It is about the only update I got.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Oh, and I finally put real exhaust on the car, rather than the header muffs I was running. Built an X-pipe and used my original Flowmasters with new turnowns just before the axle. Not much quieter, but at least it has exhaust.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #399 (Edited)
Not really, been working so much, and dealing with an accident that I was in for the last month or so. I was rear ended and pushed into a ditch, and the insurance company has been a real pain to deal with. Been right at a month and I still haven't gotten a check for my truck.

I want to start doing body work on the car, but I have to concentrate on getting the truck I just got fixed up a little since they aren't going to give me nearly enough for my truck. I hope I can get on it soon, cause I sure do miss working on her.

How did this thread become a sticky? Bob, was that you? Intentional?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Not really, been working so much, and dealing with an accident that I was in for the last month or so. I was rear ended and pushed into a ditch, and the insurance company has been a real pain to deal with. Been right at a month and I still haven't gotten a check for my truck.

I want to start doing body work on the car, but I have to concentrate on getting the truck I just got fixed up a little since they aren't going to give me nearly enough for my truck. I hope I can get on it soon, cause I sure do miss working on her.

How did this thread become a sticky? Bob, was that you? Intentional?
Yeah Mike, that was me! I think the thread was/is worthy.

381 - 400 of 429 Posts