Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size battery should I be using in the 70 [and 72] she 'had' a 652 one in, don't know if you guys use the same type sizings, but let me know what you have in and I can convert it somehow, there must be a site somewhere that will give me the equilavent in our terms.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
im running a 880 CCA in my 70. have had it since 94 and still great to this day
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since 1994 and it still runs, jeez, mine normally pack up after a year or so, just goes to show what cr*p they sell here.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Unless you're running something unusual, a 24F type battery rated for 700 Cold Cranking Amps (875 Cranking Amps) should be sufficient.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZT, I guess so, never heard of the name tho', we got 3 basic types, cheap, cheaper and cheapest. I must look at the engines at the show and see what they are running, maybe there is a battery out there that is not commonly advertised.
Now to fight a site which will translate all the above for me.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If you're looking for the answer to what was available stock you had two choices: the 24F or the 27F. The group 27 battery required the heavy duty battery option and it came with the larger tray. It used to be available but I haven't checked in a long time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Over here I bought a calcium technology battery with (I believe) 680 CCA. The calcium batteries are smaller for a given output or CCA (cold cranking amps) and therefore you can get a much, much more powerful battery in the cougars tray. I've not had any problems with mine yet and I do a lot of short trips. It didn't lose any charge over the winter months when the car was out of action either.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tooka chance and phoned the manufacturers of my 'exploded battery' and they told me to bring it in and they would give me a loan battery for the meantime, they are going to send the battery in to be tested................guess they will phone me in a week or two, tell me its my fault and they want their battery back, but at least I can use it till then. Its in the boot of the mercedes right now so can't check what it says, but its a 608 something or other, I think it says CA, its commonly known as a 652, they do not have listings for V8's in their ref book, go figure, but the v6's use a 652. Chap at the counter said he could see no real difference between a V6 and a V8 ............:-0

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
600 Cranking Amps should work okay. I wouldn't go any lower and definitely would look for something a bit bigger.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Bigger is always better lol...
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bigger would go to a heavy duty one, which I guess would be okay, you can't get a 'too powerful' battery can you, I mean it won't do any harm will it?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
i paid 86.00 for my battery it came from sears its a sears gold battery. But like i said i bought it brand new in 94 cause i needed a stronger battery and it fits right in the battery tray like a glove w/ no problems and also sits under the battery hold down aswell....
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
i paid 86.00 for my battery it came from sears its a sears gold battery. But like i said i bought it brand new in 94 cause i needed a stronger battery and it fits right in the battery tray like a glove w/ no problems and also sits under the battery hold down as well....
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the 652 is too small for the battery tray and the holder thing, will investigate tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts