Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up my 70 Cougar last Friday while I was down for the Knotts show. The owner said the cougar came originally with a am/fm. The radio he gave me is a am/fm with the slide bar just above the buttons. What through me off was that it actually says Cougar on the plastic lens. I have an original am/fm for my 67 mustang as well, but it doesn't say anything. The cougar radio has very small knobs also, at least compared to the mustang knobs.

Was hoping some one knowledgable with these radios might be able to say if it was original or not. I'll have to post the p/n and photo of it later.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
It sounds like it is the right one. The 1967 AM/FM had a slide bar that said MERCURY. The 1967 AM said Mercury on the plastic lens. In 1968 the plastic lens said FORD PHILCO and MERCURY. Later years 69-70 said Cougar I would think it would be the right one...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I have a 70 AM/FM. Look on the L/H side of the case for the number D0WA19A241.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
70's also said Cougar or Mustang on the 8 trac door 69s did not.Unsure about the 69 AM FMs I know that from talking w/Steven Shea of Shea Radio that 70 is a "Stereo" and uses different output transistors?. Anyone know if a 69 Fairlane radio fits Cougar or not? I say not for simple reason that if it did the 3rd postion would be either ZW or O for all Fairlanes Cougars and Mustangs as well as whatever Mercury's answer was to the Fairlane in those days.Montego maybe? I went NUTZ and bought 8 trac players for my 69s and most of them are 70s by fluke. Catzyalayters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts