Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 XR7 came originally with a 428cj but has had a 351C in it for around 20 years. i'm collecting up the parts to put the 428 back in it. my Question is. Did all 428cj cars come with Smog? i was looking at the 428cobrajet website and under component identification
some parts list smog or no smog. how would i know if my car was a smog or non smog car?
I thought they all had smog?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My 70 XR7 came originally with a 428cj but has had a 351C in it for around 20 years. i'm collecting up the parts to put the 428 back in it. my Question is. Did all 428cj cars come with Smog? i was looking at the 428cobrajet website and under component identification
some parts list smog or no smog. how would i know if my car was a smog or non smog car?
I thought they all had smog?
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

All 1970 428 Cougars came with the Thermactor system (commonly reffered to as smog). Some also had the California Evaporative Emissions (non vented fuel tank, charcoal cannister mounted passenger side of engine compartment and associated tubing and valves) but that is called out on the invoice and Marti report.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Maybe this will help. Here is a picture of my 428CJ Eliminator with smog and A/C.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm LOOKING, trying to find a SPOT of dirt/dust you missed. LOL Maybe a spot or two on the fan shroud, MAYBE?

Great picture, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wow, that is a nicely done engine compartment. I hope mine looks as good someday. Not to hijack the thread, but is there any way I could get a high-resolution copy of that pic? Even though my '70 has some differences (No PS or AC, for example) there are still details I'd like to be able to reference for the restoration.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
ahhh jeez... this most probably looks newer than when it came out of the assembly line

Jean

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DrCougar
That looks awesome. thanks. Now i see the continuation of parts im missing!!! Air breather, Ac lines, etc etc. Post more pics if you have them i love it!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I've got along way to go to look that nice!
I don't! :pimp: Nice picture indeed John. Before I even read the comments I saved the picture off to my photo references folder.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
You need to quit screwing around and get to work on that GTE! Numbers matching, low miles, 1 of 1. Why mess around with a lowly CJ that aint all there. lol

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I'm LOOKING, trying to find a SPOT of dirt/dust you missed. LOL Maybe a spot or two on the fan shroud, MAYBE?

Great picture, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy
No dirt/dust, just a typical Ford NOS part!

Thanks for alll the compliments from everyone.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To Oldwood-
You are correct that is what i need to do. After seeing Brians car cross the Block i almost shoved all my other projects to the side. But i have a couple cars apart right now and i don't want to start it untill they are back together. hopefully by the end of this year. Have you run across my fuel pump yet?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Yes, but you've already got the highly desired upper A-arm access holes smoke-wrenched in. :) (So do I)

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Been on the road, just got back. I am sorry to say that fuel pump burned along with everything else. I will keep my eyes out looking for another. Bewtiful Dr. Id say that was a sucessful operation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts