1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Neat car. My favorite year and with some options I love. AC, Decor, intermittent, PS, console (did console come automatic with decor or ordered separate?). Were there any Q cars without the "genuine decoration"* on the hood? Not a deal breaker of course, I just don't like em. It and spoilers signal LMS to me.

*that's what a car magazine called the scoop on the Boss 302 Cougar they tested.

·
Registered
936 Posts
As we are aware, a 70 with a 428 was a Q code and could have the Ram Air added as a factory option. Unfortunately, that is not the case here and I agree that as a "decoration" it somehow detracts. I have a 69 Q code but the dealer added the scoop and spoiler, so I left it that way. Might the dealer have done this...?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
As we are aware, a 70 with a 428 was a Q code and could have the Ram Air added as a factory option. Unfortunately, that is not the case here and I agree that as a "decoration" it somehow detracts. I have a 69 Q code but the dealer added the scoop and spoiler, so I left it that way. Might the dealer have done this...?
That's interesting that the original dealer put a spoiler on a non Eliminator car.

I still don't know if non ram air 428's ever came without scoops.
For any Cougar, I prefer non ram air. But if it has to have a scoop, it might as well be RA. I'm not sure how much HP RA added, especially at under 90 MPH. What if it's raining hard and you're at highway speed, did water ever enter the scoop?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That's interesting that the original dealer put a spoiler on a non Eliminator car.

For any Cougar, I prefer non ram air. But if it has to have a scoop, it might as well be RA. I'm not sure how much HP RA added, especially at under 90 MPH. What if it's raining hard and you're at highway speed, did water ever enter the scoop?
It has been discussed on the forum numerous times before. In 1969 & 1970 ALL Eliminators received a factory hood scoop, the only NON Eliminators that received a factory hood scoop were those equipped with a 428 and Ram Air. In 1969 they received a Vin engine designation of "R", therefore any other Vin engine designation, H, M, Q or S that was available and is not an Eliminator would not have a factory installed hood scoop. In 1970 all 428 Cougars received a Vin engine designation of "Q", and the only way to confirm Ram-Air and therefore a hood scoop (on a non Eliminator) is with a Marti report or Eminiger Invoice.

As to water entering the scoop the answer is of course, that is why the rubber seal has a drain hose on it.

·
Registered
936 Posts

My car was used as a pure stock drag car from 69-72. The original owner (with whom I have had many conversations) says that he believed that at higher speeds the spoiler and the ram air added a little bit. He had the dealer add it because the dealer agreed to do it cheaper than the factory. I even have a letter from the dealer and a picture of the car the day it brought home.

The drag racing powers that be (at least at Martinsville) must have also thought it was an advantage, because they made him take off the hood with the scoop and put on a mat black flat hood. It didn't keep him form winning over 300 races.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It has been discussed on the forum numerous times before. In 1969 & 1970 ALL Eliminators received a factory hood scoop, the only NON Eliminators that received a factory hood scoop were those equipped with a 428 and Ram Air. In 1969 they received a Vin engine designation of "R", therefore any other Vin engine designation, H, M, Q or S that was available and is not an Eliminator would not have a factory installed hood scoop. In 1970 all 428 Cougars received a Vin engine designation of "Q", and the only way to confirm Ram-Air and therefore a hood scoop (on a non Eliminator) is with a Marti report or Eminiger Invoice.

As to water entering the scoop the answer is of course, that is why the rubber seal has a drain hose on it.
Thanks for the answer about non RA 428's. Yes of course I knew all Eliminators had the scoop, but didn't know about non Eliminators. That's what the question was. Also, I have never looked closely at a RA air cleaner, so was unaware of the drain hose. Thank you for that info too.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rubber seal had a drain hose? You must be referring to the R code Mustang shaker hood scoop set up. The 1970 Q code "Ram air" system for Cougars was very similar to the 1968 1/2 Mustang set up. The rubber seal went directly to the bottom of the hood. The air cleaner itself had small drain holes in the bottom of it, to allow excess water to drain out, directly onto the intake manifold....you could argue that's not a good thing.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Rubber seal had a drain hose? You must be referring to the R code Mustang shaker hood scoop set up. The 1970 Q code "Ram air" system for Cougars was very similar to the 1968 1/2 Mustang set up. The rubber seal went directly to the bottom of the hood. The air cleaner itself had small drain holes in the bottom of it, to allow excess water to drain out, directly onto the intake manifold....you could argue that's not a good thing.....
Scott,

My mistake, I must be spending to much time working on the Mach 1 lately. The Cougar uses the same setup as the 68 1/2 Mustang, the '70 & 71 Cyclones, '71 Boss 351 and the '69 & 70 Boss 429 no drain hose.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Don't sound good to me. Sounds pretty stupid. But what do I know? I'm just a meat cutter & amateur tennis player. Never owned a RA car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts