Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting conflicting info on these casting numbers; DOAE-J, I was told buy one source block is from '70 galaxie? other info I have come across online says something else? did they make a 351C block for early 70 model with casting #C9? all the info I read only lists a DO for '70.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Casting numbers are by model year, not actual casting date. There is a separate casting date code near the casting number.

The DOAE does NOT mean the engine came from a full-size Ford! Casting numbers are more generic. Part numbers are more car-line specific...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I believe, for the Clevelands, the "J" block is the earliest castings, and the "L" is the later more common. Does the block have drain holes in the back corners of the lifter valley? If so, it is the earlier block, and was redone to eliminate these drain holes. There were no C9AE blocks, only D0 and later. The "J" was not to designate the car-line that paid for the design. It was to coincide with changes to the casting. I have a couple of each of these blocks, and they could have come from either 4V or 2V, as the blocks were the same across the board.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!, I took it to a mechanic down the road to pull starter and get numbers, they told me engine was out of '71 Galaxie?, dont know if he was trying to fool me because he is seriously intersted in buying it or what? so I wrote the numbers down and came home to do my own research, block is DOAE-J with some smaller numbers below looked like 9K20.

I also have a D2AE-CA engine complete with 4v heads so I guess I need to pull oil pan to see if its 4 bolt main?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a winner! looks to be matching numbers then? any takers? $$$$

accepting offers until I list on Ebay next month.

Contact me for details.

·
5,470 Posts
9K20 would be 1969, K=month of October (A=jan, B=feb... but no letter 'I'), 20th day of the month...

D2AE-CA is the block used by all Clevelands starting in '72. The Q-code 4Vs were drilled for the four-bolt caps. 2Vs just didn't get drilled.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car was built in november '69 so numbers should be good then?

·
5,470 Posts
Casting date is usually less than a month ahead of the build date. For an engine assembly date of a Cleveland, look on the lower passenger side front of the block on the machined surface where the timing cover plate is, and you'll probably find a 9K2x (x=something). Usually, the engine assembly date is about 5-10 days after the block casting date. Block had to cool, get the 'core molding' sand washed out, get machined, and all of the other engine internals put together... then the completed engine was shipped to the vehicle assembly plant...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked a marti, built nov 11 so about 21 days later if casting is oct 20

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Jeff, you might try looking on the back side of the block for a partial VIN, that would help narrow down what carline the engine came out of depending on the assembly plant. I'm not exactly sure where on a 351, perhaps on the drivers side, just below the head or below the intake manifold. It should start with the last digit in the year (in this case, lets say 0), followed by a letter for the assembly plant (example F for Dearborn) then up to six numbers (1XXXXX for Ford or 5XXXXX for Mercury). Good luck. John

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found no numbers on back below drivers side head, does not appear to have a machined pad on it like my other D2AE-CA engine that is why I pulled starter to look at the casting numbers. I will look for the number below timing cover. Someone had said the DOAE-J was early production number then it seems to fit with the car being built in November '69 for '70 year model?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts