Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Cougar Convertible with a 351-2V, PS and AC. My question is how difficult is it to install the headers? Can they be inserted from below? How high does the vehicle have to be?

Based upon looking at the factory manifolds, getting to all the bolts looks to be quite a task. Anyone undertaken this adventure.

I'm trying to determine if its a 1 day, 6 pack type of job or an all weekend, keg and all your buddies job. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
I had to do mine from the bottom - luckily I worked in a garage at the time. put the wife and kids in a soundproof booth, it's definitely a keg and case of knuckle sized band-aids job. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
install

I used ramps (the kind you get at an auto parts store) under all four wheels. unbolting the motormount and jacking or lifting the motor up on the side your trying to install should give plenty of clearance for any hedar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as an update I installed the headers this weekend and have the beat up knuckles to prove it. I bought the Hedman 88320 and the coresponding PS cylinder bracket.

Ok, so here's the scoop. I placed the car on ramps and began trying to determine how to reach all the fasteners. On the driver's side I removed the PS pump which allows access to the first two/three fasteners. The other was a combination of reaching from below to reaching from above. I also took both motor mount bolts and and used a jack to raise and lower the engine as needed. Lucky for me this motors been apart in the past and after breaking the bolts loose I could finish them with my finger tips.

The header was able to slip in from below without having to raise the car any higher than the ramps already had it. I had previously installed the PS cylinder bracket and it didn't cause any problems with installing the header. Once in I had to grind the shield that bolts between the engine and trans. It stuck out beyond the bellhousing about 1/4" and contacted one tube. Tightening the bolts was again a matter of below or above methods. So all told it took 3-4 hours to remove the cast manifold and install the driver's side header.

I started with the drivers figuring it would be the hardest. The passenger side was easier to get to the fasteners but still quite a chore. I removed the starter which allowed better access to the bolts. Installing this header required me to raise the vehicle even futher than the ramps but it did install from below without the engine raised. The trouble on this side was the automatic trans cooling lines. They needed a few extra curves to pass by the headers. This side took an additional 2 or so hours.

So about 6 hours later, less skin on my knuckles and I was able to get all my neighbors to look when I fired it up!!! Boy does it sound nice uncorked. Well it's off to the muffler shop to button this up before my neighbors form a lynching mob.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top