Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 70 XR7 vert. When I purchased the car it needed some sheet metal work, which included replacing both doors. The previous owner cut the door panels to fit 6x9 speakers in the door. My replacement doors have no speaker holes cut yet. I was wondering if 6x9s would block the window from rolling down all the way? I don't want to cut the doors for speakers that interfere with the window. If 6x9s don't work, then I'll need to find new door panels (which I think I've found locally in my color).

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
WCCC stocks some door speakers that will allow the window to roll all the way down. You can always use a 6X9 grill just to cover the hole, even if the speakers are smaller.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I highly doubt that there is a 6 x 9 shallow enough to clear. I have the Kenwood speakers that go in the stock location and they are quite close to having the regulators hit them.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They are 4" x 6". I originally bought the Ken Harrison two way speakers but upgraded them to the Kenwoods (KFC-4675C) using the plastic adapter from the KH ones (required to fit the stock mountings). 4" x 6" unfortunately is never going to sound as good as a 6" x 9", but I have yet to see a 6" x 9" for shallow fit applications (anyone?). The speaker situation in my car is a thorn in my side and will see some revision over the winter months such that I can blast my tunes righteously (as it should be) :buck:

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's an old thread but I found 6x9's with Top-mount Depth of 2-1/8" any chance they will work in the doors of a 68?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
It is an old thread but I am still interested in what you came up with. I love music and I like good music, no distorition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts