Mercury Cougar Owners banner

69 XR7 Wheel Well Moldings

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Don Rush 
#1 ·
Has anybody seen these, if so how do they look, hows the quality? Everything else that I have gotten from Don Rush has always been quality stuff, so I think they would be a good purchase, but was just looking for reviews. http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/69stanglips.html

#2 ·
The profile/shape of the edges are not the same as Cougar, you have to drill new holes to match the 'stang moldings holes and I believe you have to shorten at least two of the moldings to fit a Cougar. Not sure what happened to this info as it was (at one time) on WCCC's site along with the listing.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I swear I just read about the same thing Bob mentioned within the last two weeks. I believe it said on WCCC's website the rears have to be shorten by 2 inches and not all the screw holes will line up but with a little trim, reshape and a couple new holes they can be made to work on a Cougar.

Anyone purchase and install these on their Cougar? Please post up some pictures of them installed. I know I'm debating whether I should restore my originals or buy these reproductions and modify them.

#8 ·
Yeah that's how I remembered it - a "decent fit" but trimming off some and tweaking a bit gets a pretty good fit which is way easier on the wallet than 800+ for NOS!!

#9 ·
Yes, when you get a micrometer out you will record a difference but really, look at this pic... Does the profile look that different? The 67-68 is drastically different, 69-70 is what I put on my $16k car and I give myself a pretty darn good discount at WCCC and I still opted for these over restored as did Lin on his $11k 70 XR7.

#11 ·
Yes, when you get a micrometer out you will record a difference but really, look at this pic... Does the profile look that different?...
To me? Yes, definitely. The 'stang ones are a rounded bead sort of shape while the Cougar ones are a geometrical triangular sort of shape. Granted the pricing is a strong motivator, but that is where it ends, at least for me.

Anyway, glad we got to the bottom of this.

Regards,

Bob

#10 ·
Thanks a lot for the pictures and all the different angles. Do these trim pieces come with a finished coating on them at all? Could one take these out of the box and take a buffer to them and polish these up to a high luster? I'm thinking I might just weld up all my holes up and install these from scratch at final assembly stage. Can't go wrong on these at a 100 bucks and $10.90 to ship my way.

#14 ·
The repros do come in the original process bright dip / anodized finish and no you cannot improve the luster without stripping the finish, buffing them and then dipping them again. For my 69 CJ vert I went with restored because with "choice cores" they come out looking better than NOS as the luster is brighter, no tooling marks and no "shelf wear" that is so common with 40 plus year old parts that have deteriorated packages. The argument can be made that restored can have an "over-restored" look to them. For the $5-$20k driver, street driven show car go with repro, for a lock-box-stock original buy grade A used with minimal patina (we have those too) and with all el$e go with NO$ or re$tored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.